Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which blind structure would make most interesting game
200xBB or more 60 49.59%
100xBB is just fine 44 36.36%
50xBB 13 10.74%
even less ! 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Would you be a winning player at your level if...

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that sitting out 2 levels and still winning over the long run would be significantly more difficult than most people here realize.

There's a very big difference between playing tight the first 2 levels and sitting them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there'a big difference, but that wasn't the question. Even if you drop 10% ROI you can still be 'winning'.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:48 PM

I don't know what the average player's BB/Hand is in level 1 is. For me it is +.06 in level 1 and .02 in level 2. If I just sat out completely I'd be around -.15 in each. For me it doesn't seem like it would make a big difference.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
point taken, but how many people does this really apply to? If you aren't 20 tabling the 22s, then this isn't really an issue, right?
Also, are you saying that when you are playing large numbers of tables that you are starting them in staggerd sets and picking up the new ones in progress when the furthest along finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, when im playing large numbers of tables, i start them as soon as i bust. i never stagger. i dont care what lvl the tournament is on. there are so many that everything staggers itself anyways.

as far as playing early stages in the 22s and such, my roi would probably go up 5-7% if i played the best early game possible. i open shove with QQ, KK, AA for lvls 1-2 when im 20+ tabling. just fyi. holla
Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
point taken, but how many people does this really apply to? If you aren't 20 tabling the 22s, then this isn't really an issue, right?
Also, are you saying that when you are playing large numbers of tables that you are starting them in staggerd sets and picking up the new ones in progress when the furthest along finish?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, when im playing large numbers of tables, i start them as soon as i bust. i never stagger. i dont care what lvl the tournament is on. there are so many that everything staggers itself anyways.

as far as playing early stages in the 22s and such, my roi would probably go up 5-7% if i played the best early game possible. i open shove with QQ, KK, AA for lvls 1-2 when im 20+ tabling. just fyi. holla

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting. thanks for the insight into your method <font color="white">or madness, which ever it may be. </font>
Old 10-02-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the average player's BB/Hand is in level 1 is. For me it is +.06 in level 1 and .02 in level 2. If I just sat out completely I'd be around -.15 in each. For me it doesn't seem like it would make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't factoring in the chips gained when you do play, and how much it effects your chances to finish first.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there'a big difference, but that wasn't the question. Even if you drop 10% ROI you can still be 'winning'

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't beat the game, even on this board. Certainly 80% (or whatever the vote is at now) don't beat it for more than 10%.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 AM

raptor do you play any other hands? or just fold the rest?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 AM

You aren't factoring in the chips gained when you do play, and how much it effects your chances to finish first.

don't forget to factor in that you never bust or bleed a single chip if you sit out though.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there'a big difference, but that wasn't the question. Even if you drop 10% ROI you can still be 'winning'

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't beat the game, even on this board. Certainly 80% (or whatever the vote is at now) don't beat it for more than 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I was just speaking for myself then.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:57 AM

The catch to this question is this:

I think everyone agrees that to overcome this disadvantage, you'd have to be extremely good at pushbotting/bubble play. Those who are extremely good are likely playing at levels where you need more than pushbotting to win. Of course there are exceptions, like raptor 84 tabling the 22s or someone moving down to rebuild a br, but I don't think they'd consider the new buyin as their "level."

Poker and the gambling industry are built on denial and the player's ability to deceive himself into thinking he can beat the odds. Great players think they can overcome addictions to drugs and craps. Very good players think they can beat the toughest game in the room. Good players think that they don't need to manage their bankroll and should be playing higher. Average players think they can drop out of school and turn pro. Bad players think it's just a run of bad luck. Terrible players think it's all luck. While it's not surprising, it saddens me to see that 90%(!) of people here think they can pass up the 20 hands in which they're most likely to accumulate chips (with minimal risk) and still beat the game.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:01 AM

I used to start 4 tables and click sit out while I went outside and smoke.