Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with this BS?

it will work but it won't be as quick as you think. what if the isp is configured to only answer dhcp requests once every 5 minutes? that's 4 minutes and 59 seconds too long for me when i'm in a tourney. just get a second interface card..you can get brand new ones for $5.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:56 AM

and even if you're totally computer illiterate, take your computer to a store (like Best Buy) to install the second network card.... maybe cost you $60 total at the most with installation.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM

I have problems with my cable too.. i set my computer up upstairs (was downstairs with very little problems) and i think this cable wire is having problems.. has no problems hooked up to a tv but hooked up to the comp it is constantly going out for 3-4 mins then reconnecting. Like a jackass i tried to log into aol w/ my parents connection as a backup (thinking i could have the dialup connected w/ my cable to use instantly when the cable went down).. but aol wants to always connect via the high speed when its working, haha. still waiting 2 mins or so for it to dial-in is faster than screwing with the cable (which sometimes doesnt reconnect for 10 mins or more).. and when it does reconnect i can just close aol..

however getting dsl as a backup is def a better solution, and thanks to this thread I know what i need to do to accomplish that <g>
Old 08-24-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have problems with my cable too.. i set my computer up upstairs (was downstairs with very little problems) and i think this cable wire is having problems..

[/ QUOTE ]The signal strength needed for effective internet connection is different thanthe signal strength needed for TV connection. Splitting the signal multiple times is unlikely to cause problems for TV, but it may for internet. There is likely an extra split or two between the downstairs outlet and the upstairs outlet.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM

Print off this link .

Bring it into 3 local computer stores and ask them for quotes, installed at your home.
They will all be below your $1500 budget.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 PM

I happen to have the worst Internet provider in the world. Adelphia in Los Angeles.

My connection goes down like clockwork every Sunday afternoon, and it started getting really bad over the summer.
I lost several $50 tournament entries because I was unable to play.

My first really bad experience I folded into 3rd on the final table with a monster stack (5 players left).

One week later I lost my connection heads up on a final table with T1,000,000 (50%) and had T100,000 when my provider came back online. 1st - $3000, 2nd - $2000.

I bought a Verizon wireless broadband card for my PC. It connects at either broadband or modem speeds depending on what's available in your area. It costs $80/month (unlimited), and now I can take my game anywhere.

It's not as fast as a hard connection, but having two independent ways of getting to the Internet is going to eliminate almost all of the problems.

This weekend when the Internet went down at 2PM, I plugged in my Verizon card and only missed 1 hand on each table.

My game is now mobile, too.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 PM

I have blacked out of 8x 33s and 8x 22s this summer for a total of $440. My own stupidity was to blame though as both times I was playing during a lightning storm.

I would just get a dialup or DSL to back you up if your cable sucks that much.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Aside from getting another internet connection, find a friend or another 2+2'er that you trust and talk to them. Exchange numbers and ask if they would be willing to help finish a set for you if this happens.

I do this with a friend, and it has saved me a good chunk of change a couple of times, especially since I 8-table. Yesterday, another friend called and said his connection was out, and I finished up his four $10 SNGS for him. Saved him like $30. Maybe you could offer them 25% of the winnings for that hour or something.

-Jess
Old 08-24-2005, 03:30 PM

In all seriousness, have you contacted your cable company about this?

Last summer, my cable modem would crash and burn every time the weather got bad (and T-storms in Florida summers are pretty much a daily occurrence). After a week or two of it being particularly poor, I got a tech to come out and look at it. Apparently, it was somewhat outdated (they had switched models in the interim) and resetting it cold wore it down.

They came to my house, gave me a new modem, and everything was fine from then on. It was also free.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:41 PM

I just jump to my neighbors' wireless connection