Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with this BS?

[ QUOTE ]

why? I dont see why this wouldnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]

doing it without a router will cause an ip address problem. between every network segment (for example your pc and your isp's router/switch) there is a network portion and a host portion for an IP scheme. your isp will assign your pc an ip address (statically or dynamically). IP addresses are globally unique. when you try to unplug your cord from the down isp and connect to the other isp, your pc will have an ip address that is part of the network of the other isp. you won't be able to communicate with the second isp. it will take time for your pc to remove the current IP address configured then get a new one from the second isp. this is too much time wasted when you're in a tourney. just get a router, it will cut out the middle man for you. your pc will always have the same Ip address and network address to communicate with your router. the router will then handle communication with each isp.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Could I buy the DSL service, then keep the little wire that plugs into my computer at the ready, and then when I get disconected on cable quickly go down and switch the plugs, before I even miss a hand. Is this possible? Would this virtually eliminate my disconects?

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try, but no way dude! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you wanna do it that way, it works, but you may miss a hand or two while bodog searches for your new IP. I've done it myself.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing it without a router will cause an ip address problem. between every network segment (for example your pc and your isp's router/switch) there is a network portion and a host portion for an IP scheme. your isp will assign your pc an ip address (statically or dynamically). IP addresses are globally unique. when you try to unplug your cord from the down isp and connect to the other isp, your pc will have an ip address that is part of the network of the other isp. you won't be able to communicate with the second isp. it will take time for your pc to remove the current IP address configured then get a new one from the second isp. this is too much time wasted when you're in a tourney. just get a router, it will cut out the middle man for you. your pc will always have the same Ip address and network address to communicate with your router. the router will then handle communication with each isp.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take my computer to adjust to the IP address change? I seriously have no idea how to buy and set up this kind of thing, is there like a number I can call where I can pay somebody to come to my house and do it for me?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take my computer to adjust to the IP address change? I seriously have no idea how to buy and set up this kind of thing, is there like a number I can call where I can pay somebody to come to my house and do it for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes about 5 seconds.

just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run

Or even easier:

Get another network card, plug in your new internet into it.
Windows XP automatically can handle+balance 2 different net connections
Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you wanna do it that way, it works, but you may miss a hand or two while bodog searches for your new IP. I've done it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. the poker servers can't just search for you when you go down...there's billions of ip addresses how would it know how to find you? instead, the poker software on your computer attempts to contact the poker servers. if your lan interface is misconfigured, you're not going to get any traffic *anywhere* on the internet. make it easy on yourself, just get a small router.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 AM

A low cost alternative would be to disconnect to your router and use the ol' dial up. You'l lose a hand or two. This would take about 2-3 mins. I wish I had thought of this before I got banged out of 4 tourneys at level 4.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:16 AM

When you purchase your DSL they will have to come set it up for you!... Just get the service guy to hook it all up so everything is working for you.. You need a router for sure...

I ws having the same problem until last week I forked out the extra $40/month its worth it when its already costing your $200+/month
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. the poker servers can't just search for you when you go down...there's billions of ip addresses how would it know how to find you? instead, the poker software on your computer attempts to contact the poker servers. if your lan interface is misconfigured, you're not going to get any traffic *anywhere* on the internet. make it easy on yourself, just get a small router.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sorry. Don't know what I'm talking about. Just know it worked for me. Probly best to do what he says.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or even easier:

[/ QUOTE ]

i was trying to keep it simple for him. didn't think he'd be interested in typing in a dos command. and even then ipconfig/ release ipconfig /renew sometimes takes a while to work properly---this is because it still relies on the isp to push the ip address via dhcp. and i like the idea of popping in a second interface card. that's probably the best way to go (assuming you're running XP).
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even easier:

[/ QUOTE ]

So All I need to do is buy DSL and then when cable goes out switch the 2 cords and then just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run then I can start playing poker emmediatly after that?