Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 01:13 AM

Default 500BB

It's official, that's all.

Scott
Old 07-01-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: 500BB

No offense, but you should have told us about it once hit hit 300BB or 400BB, so we could tell you to stop the fck playing. Lots of variance in SH but once you hit the 300BB slide mark, Something Is Wrong.

(Only possible exception to that is the people playing 50-60k hands a month. A 300BB slide once a year or so would probably be expected in that case.)
Old 07-01-2005, 01:18 AM

I'm sick for you.

Cartman
Old 07-01-2005, 01:28 AM

It says a lot about your discipline that you got to that spot in the first place. Not that there's much positive to be found from such a disaster, but it is obvious you possess a crucial talent for playing this game. Just trying to shed a little light on your situation...not that I expect it to make you feel good right now. How are you holding up emotionally?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Hope you pull through it, man. You're solid. Take a break if you can and try to re-evaluate for a bit.

Rob
Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 AM

i hear all the math about how a downswing cant go longer than X BB's before it must be concluded that you are a loser but i dont buy it - that said i generally agree with gris that once a downswing gets over say 300BB's playing short handed you must start looking at the possibility that your playing bad

perhaps you should cut down the number of tables you play or drop down and crush the new 3/6 game ? (i am dieing for someone to take thier money as the manner in which they play offends me) - i think you need to do something to make it different, to make you start to get back to the basics and have a platform to relaunch the attack

as someone who hasnt quite hit the 400BB mark in a lengthy career of short handed i feel unworthy of giving you advice - but - i can say that i know 2 other players who have hit 400BB downswings who were both undoubtably winning short handed players - if memory serves el diablo reported a 380BB downswing playing 10/20 6 max and apparently he is a poker god - 500BB's is special but not more than 1 further crappy session from what any winning player will experience

if i was you i would suck up that pain and anguish and remember how this will feel in a few weeks time - when you do recover that short term investment imagine the unlikelyhood of what it would take to ever trouble you again happening - part of me is envious

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 AM

nh, I ran at about 15BB/100 for about 8k hands or something ridiculous like that after my -420 so I hope the variance god kicks your ass back into turbo like me.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:08 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I know someone who's played 200 something thousand hands at 5/10 short and didn't experience a 200 bb downswing until recently. then I know someone else who's had probably 3 or 4 over 1/4 of the other guy's sample, and he plays tighter. so your anecdotal evidence that 400 BB shouldn't happen because it hasnt' happened to you over a loooong period of time is meaningful but I don't think it's anywhere near conclusive. I think looking at stinkypete's graph where he's winning about 3 bb/100 over a lot of hands, with a 400 BB downswing in the middle makes it pretty obvious that these things just happen. I went through a 450 BB downer in a ridiculously small number of hands. on either sides of that I must be running at 4 combined. it's just a weird game.

so I don't think we can write him off yet. didn't schneids have a pretty massive 15/30 downswing? anything is possible and while it's unlikely that he's a winner, it's still possible. logically he should be beating it. but think about it. there are probably 300 people who post on HUSH at least occasionally. you figure one of them will at one point in time hti a downer that bad. it just happened to be him.

moving down is probably a good idea. hiring someone like Alobar who apparently coaches (didn't know till todya) and who also has gone through rough stretches of his own would probably be a worthwhile investment. getting someone better than you to at least say "you must be running bad because I'm sure you're a winner" would be a huge boost of confidence, or "dude you suck" would probably be a good way for you to realize that you're goign about it the right way, or shorthanded play is not right.

I didn't read your post well the first time so I seemed to be disagreeing with points that you didn't make, so just ignore the fact that I'm even replying. sorry I'm late. I guess this makes me a chook?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:23 AM

Friend of mine had a 350BB downswing in ONE day at 10/20, it proceded to become a 600BB downswing. Took him a month to get out, but he's out now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hang in there.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Friend of mine had a 350BB downswing in ONE day at 10/20, it proceded to become a 600BB downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like megatilt.