Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Flop trips in unraised pot, connected board, help me with turn bet!

1/2 NL Harrahs

I have a tight aggressive image at the table. I have been opening up between $15-$20 and making lots of continuation bets. Have only showed down premium hands so far. I have $300, MP2 has $200, MP3 has $50. MP2 is aggressive with his draws and will stick around with them or overbet them.

I call UTG+1 with 77, 4 calls behind me.

Pot $10, Flop comes
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $10, MP2 calls, MP3 calls

Pot $40, Turn comes
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $50, MP2 gets pissed off thinks for a while and mucks his hand, MP3 folds. MP2 says "Big bet huh, I can't call that", I say "Not gonna make your draw this time", he says sarcastically, "yeah, youre such a great poker player you know that".

I am thinking my $50 turn bet was a little too much, How does $30 look here?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Flop trips in unraised pot, connected board, help me with turn bet!

This is the kind of pot I dont mind taking down. I am not gonna give the draws the right odds to call.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Flop trips in unraised pot, connected board, help me with turn bet

[ QUOTE ]
This is the kind of pot I dont mind taking down. I am not gonna give the draws the right odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

????

Set is so far ahead of most hands here on the turn. i bet 90% of pot.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:39 AM

How does $30 look here?

I like a $30 bet here. In a live 1/2 game in AC I could see a pair of 8's calling that bet.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

????

Set is so far ahead of most hands here on the turn. i bet 90% of pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opps this post either changed or I totally misread it. It is still friggin early. You are right.

Edit- the title of the post messed with me. I thought he had trips with a flush draw and possible strait on the board. A set is much stronger.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM

ahh so since this set is strong, lets change it around and say I had a pair. A pot sized bet would be correct with only one pair in this situation right?? Lets say I had a pair of 8s and I didn't think the J helped anyone.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"yeah, youre such a great poker player you know that".

[/ QUOTE ]

Id look at him with a blank expression and say "yes"

$30 bet would have been plenty imo
Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Ironically 9T is a likely hand from the flop action and on the turn it just got there. By betting $50, what do you do if the other decent stack raises? You can't really fold considering only one hand beats you...I make it $30 here to continue to price in draws. If the river comes blank I strongly consider c/r all in if you think villan will bet a missed f/d
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 PM

I would have to decide what to do if someone puts in a big raise. MP3 only has 50 left so if he calls my bet and MP2 folds I can only lose what I already put in the pot. If MP2 raises all in I would be in a tough spot because he has pushed his draws before. I don't think that he would push or throw out a huge bet if he hit the straight on the turn. He is sneaky and he would try to trap. If the raise is small I will call and try to catch a boat on the river. I cant be worried about one hand (10 9), these guys are loose and love to try to catch cards. My pot sized bet of 10 on the flop will do nothing to get them away, most of the time theyll stick around with A rags, high cards, longshot draws.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have to decide what to do if someone puts in a big raise. MP3 only has 50 left so if he calls my bet and MP2 folds I can only lose what I already put in the pot. If MP2 raises all in I would be in a tough spot because he has pushed his draws before. I don't think that he would push or throw out a huge bet if he hit the straight on the turn. He is sneaky and he would try to trap. If the raise is small I will call and try to catch a boat on the river. I cant be worried about one hand (10 9), these guys are loose and love to try to catch cards. My pot sized bet of 10 on the flop will do nothing to get them away, most of the time theyll stick around with A rags, high cards, longshot draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to think about whether a c/r or a bet is better in this situation. If you assume that one of the two opponents has a flush draw to still be in after the flop, and by you checking the turn after betting the flop you can induce them to take a stab at it, you can attempt to price them in getting nowhere near the right odds.

Say middle to act has a flush draw and last to act has a pair and a straight draw on the turn. You check, second to act checks, and third to act bets $40, making the pot $80 and giving him $175 more. You can then raise all in, giving the third to act guy a very attractive (but wrong) option to call the rest of his money off and also giving yourself a good image play representing an action player (their comments afterwards indicate they may view you as rocky)

Then again, if they aren't going to bet their draws if checked to but will raise them when they sense weakness, an overbet to induce a raise all-in from an agro opponent on a flush draw can be a great play.