Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Board texture: when to just give up on the turn

My knowledge regarding board texture is severely lacking. I realize this question is an overgeneralization, but any input is much appreciated.

Villain is unknown.

PREFLOP:
Hero open-raises from a non-blind position and gets called by only the big blind.

FLOP:<font color="blue">?, ?, ?</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

Assuming that I have no pair, no Ace, and no quality draw...

<font color="blue">What type of board should cause you to just give up on the turn, checking behind and folding unimproved to a river bet?</font>

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 09-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Board texture: when to just give up on the turn

erm - what did you open raise with?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:55 PM

I'm not giving up very many times against an unknown.

The boards where I do give up are dry boards like K73r or A94r against tight opponents. I can usually find an excuse to bet the turn, though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 PM

This was a tough area for me too when I first started playing limit hold'em and especially when I moved to 6H. I found that it was really dependent on your opponents and how they played.

I think of it this way. If making a continuation bet on the flop will buy you outs and improve your chances to win, it is a worthwile move. Yet at the same time I make these bets to try to win the pot right away. I really don't want callers, but if I do get called yet get someone to fold it has improved my situation.

With really coordinated boards and 3+ opponents, I might wait till the turn to bet if it comes a safecard. Just because you raised preflop doesn't mean you are obligated to bet the flop. Observant opponents will wait for you to be the flop and check raise all the time if you do this this.

I think if you gave some hand examples we might better be able to answer your question.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
erm - what did you open raise with?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think your hand matters here. This is more about reading a board and telling when your opponenet might fold.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:14 PM

I'm specifically asking about heads up when I have a nothing hand and a bet is purely for folding equity. In other words, on what type of board is there little or no chance that he will fold to a turn bet.

Cartman
Old 09-09-2005, 03:16 PM

I would tend to fire again on a paired/tripped board, a rag board or whenever the turn brings an A/K/Q. I would tend to check a very coordinated board (planning to call a river bet normally if I have ace high) or a board with a lot of high cards.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:15 PM

I read an example that Nikla gave of situation like this in which Hero open-raises with something like KJ and gets called by only the big blind and the flop is an uncoordinated Ace high rainbow. He said that if villain check calls on a flop like this that you are pretty much done with the hand unless you improve.

Can anyone think of any other examples?

Thanks,
Cartman