Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Needlephobia

I suffer from this. It has got worse over the past few years. I know that needles barely hurt, and that having the injection/blood test is very + EV. I play sports where I know I will get hurt much more than by a needle.

I have had needles stuck in me only once in the past 5 years. That was when I was very ill and not entirely with it. Whilst still suffering from the same, undiagnosed ailment I refused a blood test when rushed to hospital a week later. I have never been so ill, and it was stupid to refuse what could have saved my life. As it was, I was diagnosed without a blood test and recovered fine. I got lucky.

When I went to Thailand 3 years ago I went to the doctors three times to get my immunisations, but each time was unable to go through with it. I took a friend with me one time, but no help. I took some drug (maybe valium) to calm me down, but no help.

I am quite ill at the moment, very lethargic, and the doctor thinks a blood test will help diagnose the problem. It could be diabetes. It is important that I have it. He has prescribed me some local anaesethic cream to numb the required area, maybe this will help, but I doubt it.

I am dreading Monday. Very jumpy about it. I plan to take some music with me to listen to. Maybe something mellow like Coldplay. But there is a real chance I won't be able to go with it. Ridiculous. Something that doesn't hurt and will do me great benefit, and I am scared out of my mind. Completely irrational.

I can handle a needle fine, but the thought of it piercing my skin sets me off. Has anyone ever suffered from needlephobia, and how did you counter it?

Thanks.

Dean
Old 04-16-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Needlephobia

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever suffered from needlephobia, and how did you counter it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and as soon as the doctor brought out the lolly-pop i was good to go. im serious too, needles scared the [censored] out of me, but the sour apple lolly pop did the trick.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:33 PM

lol, my only advice is to wear a helmet!

I have major needle issues. I'll never be a junkie, that's for sure.

When I was 21 and went for a blood test at a local clinic, I passed out...hit the ground hard [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Future ex-wife to be had to carry me out to the car.

Wish I had gone to a hospital for it instead of a clinic located at a mall. Nothin' like getting carried through Macy's by a chick... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 09:39 PM

Old 04-16-2005, 09:44 PM

I have a phobia that tangentially involves needles, but I'm not afraid of them specifically. I'm terrified by the thought of losing a lot of blood. I don't mind getting shots, etc. at all, but I absolutely hate having blood drawn and absolutely refuse to donate blood.

When I have had to get blood drawn I've nearly fainted once and pussied out and refused to have it done another time. The most recent time I did OK - I just focused all my thoughts on one minute aspect of my surroundings and tried to ignore the fact that my precious bodily fluids were being sucked out of me.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 PM

I have it, although not as badly as you. Well it's not the needle I'm scared of so much as the piercing of the skin. I remember reading somewhere there's a difference.

With me it helps loads if I talk to the person doing it and obviously don't look, I shake but I get through it. If it's at the point where you pass out, I don't know if this will help. Apparently if you lie down then it reduces the probability of fainting because of the vasovagol reflex or something.

I'm sure you've already tried it but with something like this, google is undoubtedly going to have loads of info.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:50 PM

I am not at all affraid of needles (at least not consciously) but have been known to pass out for no apparent reason when getting shots. The doctors are really surprised when i do pass out because they say most people show anxiety and i do not. I have actually passed out twice in the last few years at the most insane times.... once while reading graphic discription about breat augmentation surgery and once while looking at a picture of a real bad ankle break of a football player (i think the pic was in maxim magazine). Anyway, the docs say i suffer from a condition called vasal vagal and it is not too much to worry about. I have gotten over my this for the most part with the help of really understanding MDs and plenty of valium. Ask your doc if he can up your dose of valium if it didnt work the first time. 10mg should do the job... at least it does for me.

cubs

PS it is really fun trying to get the pharmasist to believe a dentist would actually perscribe valium for a patient... they have called my dentist on two occasions to make sure the scrpit is legit...
Old 04-16-2005, 09:51 PM

Phobias are wierd.

I've stitched my own leg up before. I had no problem doing that. Well, the needle was dull so I had to use a pair of pliers to shove that thing through the skin but I got it done just fine.

On the other hand, spiders and jellyfish give me the willies.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:52 PM

A little spider bite on the leg.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM

With me it helps loads if I talk to the person doing it

This is so true. My dentist will ask the most stupid questions when i get an injection just to keep my mind off of it... combine this with the valium and i get through it