Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 AM

Default 10 ways to Spot a FISH.

Ok, some are obvious, some are not. Plz add in your own,
A few of these are just leak spots, but, or course, fish have alot of leaks, so its at least "intersting" infomation
1. All-in in a nothing pot, pre or post flop.
2. Never folds a small blind....ever!
3. Plays way to many hands.
4. calls raises with crappy hands like a-9 or k-9, espeically OOP
5. if they ever say "your a Mag, (minus the M plus an F)" or "you suck" for no reason in chat. (people with only 6th grade level insults that come out firing for no reason are easily tilted by clever insults back, btw) plus, "your a [censored]" actually translates into, "there a small brained twit poker player"
6. Draw chasers with crappy potodds
7. People that have no clue that the time meter online is actually a BIG clue to a good player. (ex. 1,2, big overbet =bluff everytime! yummy! samlon!)
8. Loss a big pot, Then super AGG the next hand. ( i actually "fake" this one whenever i make a goodhand after losing a big pot against a good player)
9. (sometimes) when people don't autopost. usually more bad players then good do this. (good players know time is money)
10. People with really immature disgusting names. If someone names themselves something that an 11 year old would find hillarious, they probably think like one.

I can think of a few more, but 10 is a catchier subject name. Plz add any that i missed.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 10 ways to Spot a FISH.

i think people should stop referring to their opponents as fish. Not just this post, any post. I think it is derogatory and should not be used for the people that are supposed to supply you with money. Even though they are bad poker players, you should embrace the fact they are bad and respect them equally. There is always a game, ALWAYS, unless you are among a select few players, where you in fact, are the fish. Money flows from the bottom to the top for a reason poker players.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think people should stop referring to their opponents as fish. Not just this post, any post. I think it is derogatory and should not be used for the people that are supposed to supply you with money. Even though they are bad poker players, you should embrace the fact they are bad and respect them equally. There is always a game, ALWAYS, unless you are among a select few players, where you in fact, are the fish. Money flows from the bottom to the top for a reason poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people should stop refering to bad player's as "bad player's" this is insulting, can't we just call them "skillfully challanged" or "superhappy not so great fun dudes!". I mean, come on. "fish" is WAY more insulting then, Donkey, ATM, or the ever popular, mongoloid.
I wrote this post because i thought i would be beni"fish"al for new and old players alike, There's no need to take out your Overly P.C. views out on me while i was simply following standard poker terms. Though, i do respect your attempts at idealism, the world lacks that. Thx for the post, but next time, through in a fish spotting tool, ok? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
7. People that have no clue that the time meter online is actually a BIG clue to a good player. (ex. 1,2, big overbet =bluff everytime! yummy! samlon!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone explain why this indicates a bluff?

I'll add 2 more:

Name is spelt with alternating caps. Example: HoTBiZZaZZ247
Generally people who do not buyin for the max or people who buyin for 254.83 in a 1000NL game (indicating they're buying in for their whole bankroll)
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 AM

People who buy in short (i.e. like 25BBs) are almost always fish.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:59 AM

[quote}
Generally people who do not buyin for the max or people who buyin for 254.83 in a 1000NL game (indicating they're buying in for their whole bankroll)

[/ QUOTE ]

AHH!! this is a great one! i can't beleive i forgot it. Back in my shorthanded days, i used to comb the tables looking for alot of people with small stacks and just bulldoze them. thx for the post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:00 AM

Example: HoTBiZZaZZ247

Damn. Looks like I need a new PP handle.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 AM

i think people that use the term fish are the same people that complain about bad beats and berate people at the table
Old 11-10-2005, 06:14 AM

ok, one sign of a fish, or weak player, is a min-raise
Old 11-10-2005, 06:20 AM

This list is VERY bad. This sounds more like a list of things that annoy you when playing online poker. Realize that I do some of those things on your list when I play online so I AM labeled a fish. When people don't respect you at the table, you have an advantage.