Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 11:40 PM

Default JJ hand in CO

so here's my hand from tonight, wondered if i could have made more.
PP 25 NL, main villain in this hand has ~14, i have 22.
I get dealt JJ in the CO, vilain raises to 1, I raise to 3

(is this ok? I am thinking I want him to define his hand, right or wrong?)
no other callers
Flop is J 8 6 r

Villain thinks and checks, I check behind.

Turn 2 completing rainbow

Villain leads for 2, I call

River 4

Villain leads for 2 again, I raise to 6 and he folds.

comments on all streets appreciated.
sorry if its routine
Old 04-24-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: JJ hand in CO

Checking behind is iffy. It looks too strong I think, unless you are the type to check behind a lot when you miss flops with AK/AQ. If you think you can definitely stack this guy if he hits TP then fine, wait for a Q, K or A, but I think you might be losing value by not betting say half pot on the flop here and hoping for a check/raise from a mid PP.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:52 PM

4 bucks on the flop.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:07 AM

I always bet into a flop like this just like I had TPTK. With TPTK, I bet between 3/4 and full pot. I'd lead like that on the flop and be fine if he folds.

He probably has a missed AK or AQ. But if he has anyting better on this flop, like AJ, QQ or even TT, he might either call that flop bet, or play back at you once. There are no straight draws that a typical player would have raised $1 with preflop, so I'm not advocating protecting your hand here.

I guess I'm advocating disguising your set by playing it like a TPTK. This also makes your TPTK and missed AK flop continuation bets look stronger because you follow up in all cases with a strong continuation bet that villains can't figure out without playing back at you for a lot of chips.

Anybody else bet here on the flop? Or am I losing too much money by playing my flopped top sets too fast instead of letting villains catch up a little on a non-draw board?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:12 AM

You played it fine. He bet like he had two overs and hoped you did as well. Had he spiked one of his overs, you would have got paid off, methinks, but instead he bluffed into the better hand and gave up the ghost against a relatively small raise.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 AM

I agree 100% w/ xorbie. When you check after reraising preflop it makes the other guy think you have it LOCKED. But at the 25NL I think checking behind here is fine. I guess trying to get the guy to bluff at it would be the best option for you..... Goodluck at the 25s.

Oh yeah, my advice is to try to see some flops for cheaper with JJ. It is a very tough hand to play and many new players lose a lot of money with it...