Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Default Re: 22 The Newbie Chronicles: Turbo Texas Hold \'Em

Maverick won $$ with a lower rake. Any of these changes made it a slight winner - max $3 rake, or no jackpot drop, or no toke

The other profiles lost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Yes, Jones=tight.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:24 AM

Default That was one of the biggest things initially I got from TTH

... the clear picture on just how expensive the rake really is...
Old 02-28-2003, 01:49 PM

I was suggesting that once you found a profile who routinely folded on the river, YOU would learn to routinely bluff such an opponent. That'll work against him but is a detrimental unrealistic strategy against real people. There are other situations where you would learn to "make plays" that just plain won't work against real people. Also, since the opponents have no notion of what's happened on previous rounds, YOU will "learn" to read hands incorrectly.

Here's one. You have a flush on the turn and cap it against the computer. On the river the board pairs, and the opponent bets into you. In real life, raising is out of the question. Against the computer, however, you will quickly learn to know that he probably still has a straight or small flush, and is simply betting the river because that's what his profile tells him to do: he doesn't remember you have the big flush (from the turn betting). You will therefore learn to raise the computer which is a detrimental strategy against real people.

- Louie
Old 02-28-2003, 02:08 PM

If you begin playing live games, watch out for the habits you form playing the 'tough' lineups. I play in a loose 4/8 game, and have finally put together a lineup that seems to match my opponents (loosies with Omar thrown in). Now I beat 'Mike' consistently against this lineup, even though the advisor tells me I'm too loose-aggressive. I think 'Mike' is designed for tougher games than mine.