Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 20 The Newbie Chronicles: Dynasty+Clarkmeister in Vegas

I have no desire to play poker for a living. Quite frankly to maintain the standard of living I like, I'd have to play very very high, and there is simply too much competition at those limits.

Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living, Clarkmeister? I'm currently at a bit of a crossroads... I'm sick of drab, dreary Seattle and my dull software job. I'd love to be able to quit and move to Vegas and just play poker... but I doubt I could make more than $30K/year even if I played long long hours at this point.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:22 PM

This past week I spent $10 buying Dynasty a steak.

A $10 steak is called a hamburger.

Give me some credit for ordering a half-decent meal. It was a $19 steak dinner. That's nothing extraordinary but a $19 steak sounds about ten times better than a $10 steak.

You should probably put another $40 into your budget since I didn't take you up on your offer to got to Delmonico's.

I can't believe you watched poker for several hours rather than get into the game. It's so sad.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:03 PM

I'd be happy to email you ideas if you'd rather do it that way. But here's a few preliminary thoughts....we can continue it here or privately. I don't want to hijack mdlm's thread.....

1. What standard of living do you require? For example, do you want to have a car? How nice of an apartment do you need to keep you happy?

2. What sort of bankroll do you have? How big do you expect to/want to play?

3. What are you going to do with your life 5 years from now? 15? When you turn 50? 60? Do you ever plan on getting married or having kids?

4. How stressful will it be moving away from family and friends? How much emotional strain will it be hearing how you are pissing your life away? Are you willing to deal with a rather limited selection of potential girlfriends due to the nature of your "job"?

These are a few of the "big" questions to consider.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM

That is a great post Clark. Play money is a complete waste of time IMO too.

As a matter of fact, I did not post this a while back (I did not feel like staring a flame war), but I thought the whole short-handed play money study group idea from a while back, falls into that category also. Play money is for the birds. Where are those sea shells when I need them? :-)

BTW, I don't know if Al told you (Clark) or not but Wednesday at 2:00pm we are having a shin-dig I think you will enjoy. Lot's of people you like should be there tomorrow. You & Dyno are more then welcome to come if you are not too busy. If interested just shoot Al or Poker Babe an e-mail for directions. Tomorrow should be a great one.

Best of Luck

Howard

Old 02-13-2003, 02:32 AM

A $10 steak is called a hamburger.

I was wondering about that when I read the original post. I figured he must have brought you to Denny's. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There's nothing wrong with a $19 steak, at least they make those from cows.