Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Default The Calibre Of Ace-King...? (Suited or Unsuited)

Now this is probably a still a big debate in poker today... well it is. But I want to look at Ace-King from a different prespective.

In tournament play, against an all-in bet say, is it always right to call with A-K (suited or not) if you know your NOT up against wired kings or aces? Because the argument is, if you're not your always getting about a coin-flip, and in some cases you will be dominating lower aces or kings.

Your thoughts please? And would your answer change for a multi-table tournament, as to a single-table tournament? And would the size of chips in both yours and your opponents posession be relevant, plus the stage of the tournament, and the blinds etc...

Regards,

The Prawn
Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: The Calibre Of Ace-King...? (Suited or Unsuited)

This is a pretty unrealistic question, but here it goes:

If you know for a fact that you're not up against AA or KK, then it's always right to call because even a coinflip situation is +EV due to the blinds, unless you're talking real deep stacks.

The depth of stacks is usually what skews the opponent's hand range upwards, a 10xBB all-in has a ridiculous range while a 100xBB all-in is AA, KK, AKs, QQ, at that point you really can't dismiss AA and KK.

No difference between MTT and SNG, but there is a time when it's a fold in a Satellite, where it's really all about survival, not chip accumulation.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:42 AM

Default The gospel according to Pokerstove.

Blessed is Slick for theirs is the Kingdom of Pots to come:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 63.7075 % 60.30% 03.41% { AKs, AKo }
Hand 2: 36.2925 % 32.88% 03.41% { QQ-88,
ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

This is a wide range, AND assuming you are not up against AA or KK.

It would be a call but you HAVE to keep in mind DWarriors point: 'there is a time when its a fold in a Satellite, where its really about survival, not accumulation'.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: The gospel according to Pokerstove.

[ QUOTE ]
Blessed is Slick for theirs is the Kingdom of Pots to come:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 63.7075 % 60.30% 03.41% { AKs, AKo }
Hand 2: 36.2925 % 32.88% 03.41% { QQ-88,
ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

This is a wide range, AND assuming you are not up against AA or KK.

It would be a call but you HAVE to keep in mind DWarriors point: 'there is a time when its a fold in a Satellite, where its really about survival, not accumulation'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your range in this example is far too wide and greatly skews the results. If you narrow it down to only underpairs it becomes much more of a coinflip situation where AK ranges from being a slight underdog at 46:54 to an even flip. I don't think your range is very realistic for most players. I certainly wouldn't use that range very often in my calculations. When you do start to include dominated Aces and Kings in your range it does help AK a large amount. Simply including the top 10% of hands, minus AA and KK, it becomes 60:40 in favor of AK and becomes much more of a favorite as you add more hands into the range.

The size of blinds and antes also has an effect, as well as any dead money in the pot. Add in a bit of dead money and large blinds and antes and this becomes very much +EV.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM

AK is a hand that is very powerful when you are first into the pot. It is also a good re-raising hand. However, there are many times in SNG's where it is proper to fold AK.

FWIW I basically try my best to not call my stack off against a weak tight player with AK since racing PP's will kill you in the long term.

However, broad generalizations are never true in poker so take what I said with a grain of salt I guess. AK is a very tricky hand and must be played in different ways in relation to your stack size/feel for the table.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:20 PM

If you could somehow totally discount these hands then assuming there are blinds and antes in the pot I'd guess your pot odds would justify a call in pretty much 100% of cases.

I do not know how you can totally disregard AA and KK however.

Edit: I've folded AK before the flop in MTT and it is not that difficult a scenario to see play out.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 PM

I have let AK go a few times, rarely preflop, but last night I ran into players who absolutely refused to let big slick die. Each time, they decided to slow play, I would flop TP, they C-bet and I push, only once did I lose because eash time I pushed, they called with no thought what so ever. Each time I pushed it was an overbet to the pot.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK is a hand that is very powerful when you are first into the pot. It is also a good re-raising hand. However, there are many times in SNG's where it is proper to fold AK.

AK is a very tricky hand and must be played in different ways in relation to your stack size/feel for the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I prefer calling a raise when in position and reraising out of position. But this depends on the PF raiser.

If you reraise OOP the only hands calling you there have you beat already I think so flop play becomes easier (any pair). And if some donk calls with AQ all the better.

In position I feel you will be getting the odds to hit a pair vs most hands. Also hands like AQ, AJ, will pay you off. Consider MP2 raised 3x you cold call, all fold. You getting 3:5.5 considering the blinds. Now the flop comes with an A or K and the OOP MP2 raiser usually makes a continuation bet of 30-55% of the pot if he has a pair under. Well right there you are getting the price for the preflop call considering you hit a pair 1 in 3. I think more times than not you will face AQ, AJ than AA and KK also. The cold call also makes the other player wonder what you have? I feel more times than not players feel if you had AK you'd reraise preflop so they tend more to think you don't have it. A cold call in position players usually place you on a small to medium pair. This is from my experience in live tournaments. I am always asking questions like "what did you think I had?"

As for all ins. If I have 10,000 chips with blinds of 100/200 and joe shmoe raises my stack... go ahead and take it. Why should I risk my stack in that position. All in calls with AK really depend on who, why, where, when, and how much of your stack.

Am I wrong in my thinking?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I wrong in my thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I didn't expand any further in my post because, honestly, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum already and really doesn't deserve another thread.

And here I go contributing to the madness....
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 PM

Depends on a lot of things, M, postion of raiser, how many in, how many callers, etc..... It's not a yes/no answer