Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Default theory post: question about calling min-reraises

I'm often concerned at what to do in these situations:

assume it's a 6-handed game, your oppenant in the BB has between 25-40 BB. You raise on the button with a hand like QTo 3x the BB and your oppenant reraise 3x more, what to do? I feel like if you hit a flop that gives you top pair or any decent draw, you're compelled to push/call that commits you the rest of his chips and you could very well behind given his reraise, but folding seems ridiculous seeing how it is 3x the BB more to go preflop. Are you just stuck with this nasty situation because of the inflated pot? Do you just have to "go with it" on the flop if you catch a decent one? With stacks bigger, its quite clear what to do... call and bust him, but with shorter stacks, your ability to outplay him is decreased. Thoguhts? comments? Recommendations?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: theory post: question about calling min-reraises

Old 12-20-2005, 11:55 AM

I think it's ok to call if you are getting the correct implied odds. You need a read though. W/O a read on your opponent, be ready to let the hand go if you don't hit it well enough. With your Q 10 hand, if you call and flop one pair, you should be willing to let that go in many cases. Folding preflop to a small reraise is ok with shallow stacks too. With deeper stacks, I'm calling a min raise with any2, often with the plan of folding unless I hit a draw or a big made hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's ok to call if you are getting the correct implied odds. You need a read though. W/O a read on your opponent, be ready to let the hand go if you don't hit it well enough. With your Q 10 hand, if you call and flop one pair, you should be willing to let that go in many cases. Folding preflop to a small reraise is ok with shallow stacks too. With deeper stacks, I'm calling a min raise with any2, often with the plan of folding unless I hit a draw or a big made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree nearly 100%, especially about being willing to lay down top pair. I think stack sizes are crucial here, and if the money isn't deep enough, then you could indeed lay it down here. Ideally for my style of play, I prefer much deeper stacks in regards to BBs than you are dealing with here.