Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-19-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Advice as Chip Leader in SNG\'s 4-Way

As a SNG fiend, I find that my play when there are btw. 5-10 players at a table is fine, and I usually am either Chip Leader or 2nd in 10$ tournys. But when there are 4 players, the style of game immediatly shifts and people just play differently. Can anyone suggest a style of play, 4-way, as chip leader, and conversely, as low-stack? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Advice as Chip Leader in SNG\'s 4-Way

When you're the leader, be really aggressive. Your opponents are afraid of busting, and you're in a position to knock em out. So even if they think you're full of crap, they have to respect your raises, because they can be eliminated on any hand. Put them to a decision for all their chips, and do it a lot.

Small stack play varies greatly based on just how small your stack is. If you've got <5 BB, you basically just need to push any two decent cards and hope to double up. Look for the weak-tight players on the table and try to steal their blinds.

Check out SNG Power Tools by eastbay. Just going through the Blind Stealing 101 lesson and applying those concepts while playing has improved my game immensely.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 PM

as chip leader, it depends on your lead size, but a strategy that consists of raise, don't call, particularly raise when the blinds are big enough to think about as real numbers, and concentrated on the 2nd and 3rd stacks, not bullying the short stack.

as short stack, again, it depends on the margin by which you are short, but look for good spots to take chips from the guys in 2nd and 3rd, particularly 3rd, without seeing a flop, generally. look for spots when you think you're ahead by a lot, and even more than a lot if the stacks are close between you and the 3rd place, to call with the best hand and double up.

citanul
Old 05-19-2005, 01:11 PM

what is key is when there is 2 big, 2 short, and you are one of the former. Its real key to get the lead on the other bigstack, beacause of the divergence of bigstacks. You can force him off some hands alot easier if you have even a small chiplead over him.

How this is applicable is that i'd be willing to take some risks right away...if you win some blinds and get one up on the other BS, you can be away tot the races. If it doesnt work out, and you drop some chips to become 2nd stack, then cool yer horses and play normal. But its worth the risk to get a jump on him.

Losing some chips, becoming 2nd stack....somewhat bad.
Winning some chips, becoming bigstack....VERY good.

The big stacks will diverge, so take the risk to get that jump on him. Be pre-emptive.