Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 01:07 AM

Default bottom set in an interesting situation

Seat 2: Hero ($14.95)
Seat 9: Villain ($16.05)Tight/pass

big blind of $0.25

hero [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

1 limper, Villain raises to $1.35 1 fold hero calls $1.35 Folds around.

[T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] <font color="red"> 2.95 </font>

Villain checks hero bets $3.55 Villain calls $3.55

That call scares me. Its screaming AA/KK/AK.

TURN [J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] <font color="red"> 10.05 </font>

Villain checks hero checks

Should i have bet here? i have a feeling im beat, but still not sure. i think a half pot bet would be a good sized bet. BTW, the turn is my worst street so anything you can add to help me on that would be greatly appreciated

River [2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] <font color="red"> 10.05 </font>
Villain bets $11.15, and is all in
hero .....

Now ive got the tough decision. Whats your river line?

Results below:
<font color="white"> anderson294 shows [Kd Kc] (three of a kind, Kings)
EvenKeal56 mucks
</font>
Old 12-25-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: bottom set in an interesting situation

This might have been interesting, if i hadn't seen it dozens of times.

Bet/3 bet flop

check behind on turn

River is read dependent, no concrete answer here. You are ahead a fair amount of the time at 25nl but also lose quite often to the queen.

Folding because you think he has a higher set is stupid.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:27 AM

4 to a straight = worthless hand without the straight.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:30 AM

First of all don't post results.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in this situation. About the only hands that cold call that flop overbet (don't do that by the way) are AA,KK,AT+ (with a bias towards AQ+ because you said he was tight passive). No other hands call this. Out of this very precise hand range, 2 hands have us drawing 22:1 and AQ has us drawing slim. AK/AT we are way ahead of. Turn check from a tight passive doesn't mean too much alone, because that's what passive players do- check. However, couple this with the flop cold call and the river overbet/push, and the turn looks extremely like a missed check-raise.

That said, he is shortstacked. I'm absolutely showing down bottom set for a pot sized river bet.

I would have bet the turn, and call his push because you are pot committed. You are losing value by checking this turn.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all don't post results.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in this situation. About the only hands that cold call that flop overbet (don't do that by the way) are AA,KK,AT+ (with a bias towards AQ+ because you said he was tight passive). No other hands call this. Out of this very precise hand range, 2 hands have us drawing 22:1 and AQ has us drawing slim. AK/AT we are way ahead of. Turn check from a tight passive doesn't mean too much alone, because that's what passive players do- check. However, couple this with the flop cold call and the river overbet/push, and the turn looks extremely like a missed check-raise.

That said, he is shortstacked. I'm absolutely showing down bottom set for a pot sized river bet.

I would have bet the turn, and call his push because you are pot committed. You are losing value by checking this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're analysis is good but your conclusions suck. Villain's range isnt good for hero. I definately check behind on the turn and if I dont fill up I fold. Betting this turn is just silly. The board is 10JKA, we have 1010, and you want to go to the felt?? Of Villain's range, only AK, AJ, and A10 we are ahead of, and those hands arent gonna go wild calling this turn. Furthermore, villain is ublikely to have a 10 here. Betting this turn might work here and there against two pair, but overall it is definately -EV imo.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:38 AM

A tight/passive villian raises 5.5 BB preflop, the only hands I put him on are AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK,AQ. You are beating only 1 of them. I think the turn check is correct, and the river should be a fold.

And to the eirlier poster who said folding because you're scared of a higher set is stupid, I'm afraid you're wrong, look at the board, look at how he played it and put him on a hand
Old 12-25-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding because you think he has a higher set is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a tight passive player you pay this off every time? How about if stacks are 200bb?