Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Calculating How Much to cont bet.

My average hand goes something like this.. raise pf, fire pot sized cont bet regardless of if i hit or not.(on most flops)

Am i giving up to much on flops that ive missed and get called? Should i be adjusting the size of my bets? Looking at the texture of the flop and making different sized bets on different flops? will that give to much information away?

I dont wanna turn into one of thoes 1/2 pot cbet=miss, 2/3 or more=hit. it just gets way to predictable, but i am curious as to how i should be deciding what ammount to cont bet in different situations.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Calculating How Much to cont bet.

I always thought 70% - 100% of the pot was good for online play.

harrington suggest I believe it is at least half the pot, but varying it so they don't catch on.... keeping in mind how many opponents ur up against (1 is ideal), how good your hand is, and the texture of the flop.

same rolls for cont bets on 4th street.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My average hand goes something like this.. raise pf, fire pot sized cont bet regardless of if i hit or not.(on most flops)

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. My typical hand is to fold preflop, but do whatever works for you. <font color="white">Yes, I know what you mean.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
Am i giving up to much on flops that ive missed and get called?

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends on the range of hands you raise and what your opponents do. (That you get to make a continuation bet means you weren't reraised preflop, and no one bet into you on the flop. That gives you information already, but the information doepends on your opponents.) In general, you are probably betting too much on the flop by betting the pot, since a 2/3 pot bet will let you take it down when no one has anything.

On a dryer flop, you can bet less. Don't assume your opponent always has any possible draw, or that you need to bet enough on the flop to make it incorrect for your opponent to draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Should i be adjusting the size of my bets? Looking at the texture of the flop and making different sized bets on different flops? will that give to much information away?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you should be making different sizes of bets on different flops, and you should sometimes not make a continuation bet at all. You should even make different sizes of bets depending on what you have and the stack sizes since the size of your bets will affect which hands call/raise and how much money is left on later streets.

This will give away some information. So does raising preflop. However, if you vary the sizes of your bet in a careful fashion, the information you give away will be less valuable than your benefits from varying the sizes of your bets.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:17 PM

Instead of varying up your bet why not consider varying whether you continue a bet onto the turn or not? I play a very similar style and found that even your style can be predictable. You will find that the more solid players will call more often on ur flop knowing that they can steal the turn since you will check ur missed turns opening a steal opportunity to them.

I would make 2 suggestions:

1. vary up ur bluffs and make a 2nd continuation bet on the turn to force them to realize that even if u miss they are goign to face 2 big bets

2. If u have check/folded several turns that u missed and been bet into, then check/raise a big hand on the turn to extract more money

Hope those help to keep your play more unpredictable
Old 12-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Thanks matt, i have run into that problem a few times. ill give your idea a try
Old 12-25-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i giving up to much on flops that ive missed and get called?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That depends on the range of hands you raise

[/ QUOTE ]

i raise w/ a wide variety of hands if i have position.

[ QUOTE ]
You should even make different sizes of bets depending on what you have and the stack sizes since the size of your bets will affect which hands call/raise and how much money is left on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you possibly show me an example using stack sizes? I have taken this into consideration when im against smaller stacks,( I usually make a smaller cont bet becuase if he plays back and i dont have a hand it doesnt make me commited to call ) but i havent really applied it to a variety of stack sizes.

Thanks