Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Default ak, standard right?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]6 folds</font>, Button calls, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB folds, [color=#CC3333]Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: ak, standard right?

Button wins with three 9's?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM

You can't expect button to bet any street if you check, so I like every street. The real question is whether or not to 3-bet the river. Obviously you don't want to do this against a set or JT, but without reads, it looks like JT is the most likely raising hand on the river here, barring a slowplayed two pair or terribly played A4. I don't like folding, calling, or raising here, so I'm just going to wait for someone else to answer.

1. Any reads?
2. Choose 2+2 format on the converter.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM

villain turned the straight (j10)
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Is this really a bad beat story disguised as a "is my line right?" Are you gonna tell us he had pocket 4s? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think your line was right all the way, with him not raising until the river.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:58 PM

sorry... I'm new at posting hands... no reads. thanks for the input [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM

no. not a bad beat story. I suppose I was wondering about trying to check raise at any point or three betting the river
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Your play is standard and correct. Three-betting the river is an option with a read, though you are risking two to win one as JT and the sets will often cap and that sucks.

One thing to notice: Villain pretty badly misplayed his hand here. By waiting until the river to get a psychologically satisfying slowplay, he missed to opportunity to charge both you and the guy in between double bets on the turn. When BB folds the river, he's out at least one BB. He also probably didn't extract the max from you, as you're going to three-bet the turn a lot and he'll get more bets in that way.

So, though the slowplay stings, realize that in some sense you won on this hand because you probably should have lost more.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM

I don't think there's really room for a check-raise here, nor do I think it would have accomplished anything for you.

FLOP -- he's likely checking behind you; if he bets and you raise, I don't see him folding an open-ended straight draw to a 6.5BB pot for one bet
TURN -- he obviously loves a check-raise and will raise you, at which point you're obliged to give up the hand, having saved yourself no bets over how you actually played it
RIVER -- see turn

I think you played it right. With the way BB played it, you had no cueing that would have allowed you to get away from this. I think Villain played it well also... probably gained at least one bet out of calling vice raising the turn.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM

you'll see a worse 2 pair hand often enough to make this river call. nh.