Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 AM

Default AA play - thoughts?

Ok, so this was from a Noble Poker SNG, and I don't know how to retrieve their hand histories, so I'll just have to post it.

Blinds 30/60, 6 people left. I have roughly 700 chips left (out of 1000 starting). I am UTG with AhAs. I decide to limp, intending to limp reraise.

Folds to button, who calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Pot is 210. Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

BB bets 60 chips, I raise to 280, Button folds, BB calls. What do you put him on at this point? I put him on a weak Q. Incidentally, I've just pot committed myself, so whatever comes on the turn, I know I'm going all-in.

Turn comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I think I don't like this card. While it has me now ahead of QJ, if he was on a flush draw, he now completed it. He checks, I bet allin, he calls.

He flips over Kd2d for the nut flush, and I don't improve to a boat on the river.

What do you guys think about my play? Should I have checked behind with the possible four flush on the flop, and evaluated the turn? Or is that way too weak tight?

Or the obvious critique - should I have raised preflop? I obviously was going for a limp reraise, and regardless thought I could get away from a very dangerous flop . . . but I thought I was ok here.

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: AA play - thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so this was from a Noble Poker SNG, and I don't know how to retrieve their hand histories, so I'll just have to post it.

Blinds 30/60, 6 people left. I have roughly 700 chips left (out of 1000 starting). I am UTG with AhAs. I decide to limp, intending to limp reraise.

Folds to button, who calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Pot is 210. Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

BB bets 60 chips, I raise to 280, Button folds, BB calls. What do you put him on at this point? I put him on a weak Q. Incidentally, I've just pot committed myself, so whatever comes on the turn, I know I'm going all-in.

Turn comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I think I don't like this card. While it has me now ahead of QJ, if he was on a flush draw, he now completed it. He checks, I bet allin, he calls.

He flips over Kd2d for the nut flush, and I don't improve to a boat on the river.

What do you guys think about my play? Should I have checked behind with the possible four flush on the flop, and evaluated the turn? Or is that way too weak tight?

Or the obvious critique - should I have raised preflop? I obviously was going for a limp reraise, and regardless thought I could get away from a very dangerous flop . . . but I thought I was ok here.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with playing AA UTG for a limp intending to reraise. As you click "call," however, be at peace with the fact that the raise might not come and you'll need a new plan for your AA.

I don't have any problem with your flop play. Yes, it seems most likely he either has a weak top pair (or second pair, I suppose) or the flush draw. You see a flush draw played like this from out of position commonly...the small lead bet by your opponent ($60) is intended as a blocking bet that you'll probably just call so he gets to see the turn cheaply. You foiled his plan by raising significantly, but, like most fish, he isn't going anywhere with his flush draw so he calls. You say "Incidentally, I've just pot committed myself, so whatever comes on the turn, I know I'm going all-in." To be honest, I don't understand this. But, I think I know what you're getting at, and it is not at all a correct way of thinking. Yes, you are pot-committed at this point, but that DOESN'T mean you have to put yourself all-in. It only means that you're going to call all-in if he puts you all in.

The turn brings the flush and your 3rd Ace and he checks to you. If you had analyzed his flop play correctly, you'd know there's a very good chance he just made his hand. Since you raised on the flop, he checks to you so you can trap yourself. You should now be thinking, "I want to show down this hand as cheaply as possible at this point, unless I improve to a full house on the river." You MUST check this turn.

If the river pairs the board, you'll take his entire stack. When you fail to improve, and having checked behind on the turn, the nuts is surely going to bet something at you. I think you'll probably need to call it, no matter what the bet is. But, hopefully, he won't put you all-in because your opponent will want to bet an amount he feels you will call. You'll lose the hand, but you possibly won't go broke, which is infinitely better than getting knocked out, no matter how little you are left with.

--mcpherzen
Old 05-19-2005, 02:15 AM

Terrible, terrible, terrible. And here's why:

[ QUOTE ]
BB bets 60 chips, I raise to 280, Button folds, BB calls. What do you put him on at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible, terrible, terrible. And here's why:

[ QUOTE ]
BB bets 60 chips, I raise to 280, Button folds, BB calls. What do you put him on at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I do, not entirely.

I guess you're suggesting that there's no way he bet-calls with top pair weak kicker.. he either reraises or folds. But I'm not entirely convinced that's true... I've seen people bet-call with top pair weak kicker plenty of times. Not that it's necessarily the right play, but it's certainly been done.

Oh and by very dangerous flop I was talking about, you know, something like 8 9 10 of clubs, or something like that.

I don't disagree that I should have at least entertained the idea of a flush draw... On the turn I wanted to avoid getting sucked out on on the river to a back door flush. And, I thought, worst case scenario, if he did have the flush, I still had nine outs to improve -- not great, but at least I'm not drawing dead.

Yeah, I don't know. I got greedy I guess. I wanted to double up, instead of win another small pot with my aces. Was just an SNG, so it didn't hurt to mix up my play a bit.. I guess it's a lesson learned.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I obviously was going for a limp reraise, and regardless thought I could get away from a very dangerous flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible to know what a very dangerous flop is if you don't raise. Was this table so active that you thought somebody would surely raise? Were the benefits of a limp reraise worth the risk of limping here?