Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 02:56 AM

Default PP 40K Guaranteed hand

Alright peeps. My stack: 65k. Villain's stack: 65k. Villain and I have had a couple encounters over the last 1/2 hour or so. When I am in the CO seat, he is in the BB. Previously, I rose his bb to 5500 with QT he called, flop comes jack high, he minibets, there's a flush draw out, so I raise pot, like I have an overpair, then I show. This exact scenario played out earlier, except, earlier, I didn't show. Right after this hand, someone tried to bluff him again, and he called a big raise on the flop, and a big all-in raise on the turn with 3rd button (6s). I had seen villain bet into each and every pot he was in. We had some history, and he was currently paying off with one pair hands on 4th and 5th street (rather, people were trying to bluff him, but were unsuccessful).

Anyways, I limp UTG with 88, Villain calls, folded to bb, who checks. Blinds are (1500/3000)

Flop: 8 4 3 rainbow

checked to villain, who bets 4k, bb folds, I checkcall

Turn: T of spades, putting two spades on the board.

I check, villain bets 8k, I checkraise to 24k, villain calls

River: 7, no possible flush

I bet 28k, he raises all-in to 35k, I call.

I won't insult your intelligence. Of course, I lost. But do you guys raise more on the turn, when he's already lead the flop? It's not like he's semibluffing a backdoor draw on the flop.

Does anyone checkraise more on turn, and, if you do, why?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: PP 40K Guaranteed hand

There's 18.5K in the pot going to the turn, he bets 8K, so the pot's 34.5K before you raise. Your half-pot raise is fine, you might go a little higher, but you don't want to push him out of the hand. I certainly wouldn't raise any less. With your raise a river push is 1/2pot, which is right about where you want it with someone who'll pay off with mediocre hands. Any reason for betting 28K? I can see betting 20K, and I can see pushing, but I don't think I'd ever bet in-between.

Versus someone playing this donkish, sometimes things will go horribly awry. Just an unfortunate time for it to happen here.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: PP 40K Guaranteed hand

For the record, he wasn't playing that donkishly. His minimum bets were just annoying.

I bet 28k of my 35k over some alternatives like 20k or a push, because, it just felt right. I was pretty sure, if he held a ten, he'd call. Maybe it's that whole $6.99 thing, it looks like $6, but it's really closer to $7. "Well 28k is in the 20s.. doh, he's betting 20k". Haha. Yea. Best thing I can take from this. Me with 6 chips left: "nh".. "there's nothing I can do about it"; him: "ty, class".