Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 01:12 PM

Default FFX-2

Anyone else playing this? I'm stunned by how much they improved on the rather mediocre original (FFX), although I have to agree with my gf's statement of "most metrosexual video game ever". I'm really enjoying it, though.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: FFX-2

I haven't played since I think FF7. The series kind of lost its way for me in the immeidately following years. Is this worth picking up? Most importantly, how is the combat engine?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:20 PM

Well its definitely a sequel to FFX. If you haven't played that you would be pretty lost. The highlights of the game by far are the combat and job (character advancement) systems, which are much better than the past few efforts. Also they obliterated the worst problem with FFX which was its utter linearity - heck, you start with the airship now and can go anywhere you want. I've been spending so much time exploring and doing sidequests & minigames I haven't even got past the bare bones of the story yet. I dunno, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't played FFX, but you can pick that up for $15 now for a good 30 hours of entertainment.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:27 PM

So FFX is worth the effort to get to play FFX2?
Old 11-25-2003, 04:24 PM

Hmm well that's not really a valid question. X2 isn't all that different from X1, its just better. X1 isn't a bad game at all really but doesn't measure up to 7 by any means. It depends on how much free time you have, how much you like RPGs, that sort of thing. I'm not a huge RPG fan (but I have a lot of free time obviously..) and I'm certainly no Otaku but all of the FF games I've played (from 7 on) have kept me entertained to some degree, the best being 7 and now X2. Meh, its certainly not stopping me from going to go play cards tonight.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:05 AM

sweet I won 27 FFX-2's.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:42 AM

I've always loved the FF series since FF2(U.S. ver.). How does the job system work? Is it anything like FF Tactics?

I'm glad they released this game, because the online FF XI doesn't interest me that much. I don't have the time to play the online games. Well, except poker that is.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:33 PM

I am glad it is a good game. I have played every FF game in the main line (not tactics, which i hear is very well done) excpet Final Fantasy III (japanese version). FF I and II are available on Final Fantasy Origins. If you liked the original FF and the never U.S. released FF II, i would recommend picking this up. I absolutely loved FF IV (FF II in the U.S., and is close to my favorite, I think my record for beating it was tweleve hours), and when it was remastered and rereleased with Chrono Trigger on Final Fantasy Chronicles, it made for a good way to spend dead time when not playing poker. Final Fantasy V and VI (III in the U.S.) were so so, but probably the best of all time was FF VII. VIII was a little to complicated and drawn out, and IX was just cut and dry.

FF X was unbelieveable for the PS2, but I felt there was not as much wide open exploration. Boards were pretty linear, and when you get the airship, you can't fly around and try to find the secrets. You just pick the spots on the map that have ?????. The only thing I absolutely detested about FFX was blitzball. I even liked the lame card games from VIII and IX better. Chocobo racing from VII takes the cake on best minigame though.

Does FF X-2 have blitzball? and if it does, do you spend hours and hours and hours getting the weapon for a side character who isn't that strong by the time you get it? I'll probably be picking this up soon, after i finish Simpsons Hit and Run, which if you are a Simpsons fan, is absolutely fantastic.

As far as FF X-2 being the the first sequel to a FF game, I thought FF V was somewhat set in the same manner as FF IV (FF II here). Looking forward to a fun 100 hr + game.

-AA
Old 11-26-2003, 05:38 PM

I don't know about the combat engine for FF X-2, but the one for FF X was the best i had ever seen. You are given pictures onthe side of the screen on when characters and monsters will act, that way you can employ better strategy to use when fighting. You can also change out characters. that way garnering XP (or Battle Points) for each member of your party so the ones you don't use can still level up.

Also you can create your own armor which dramatically helps you in battle. The summoning system works a little different, with your creatures being able to level up and once you summon them, they stay until they die or you send them away, but it was still very cool.

-AA
Old 11-26-2003, 08:52 PM

The combat system is pretty much the same in FFX2 except characters/mobs act immediatly rather than waiting for their turn. Plus there are combos oOOooOOoOOOooOOoOoo. Overdrives are gone too as are summons, apparently.

The job system is neat. All (3) characters can be any of the jobs i.e. white/black mage, fighter, thief, etc. No more of the lame-ass switching people with set jobs in and out of combat - you can switch jobs on the fly. No more sphere grid crap for advancement either.

Blitzball is still there but much "more" optional. Also its totally automatic - you don't control anyone while the game plays.