Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Flopped top pair but...

Early in this session. In general everyone is looser than me (22VPIP). MP1 is 31/5/2.4. I've only seen KQ, AQ & JJ from him so far.

What do I do on the flop?

Hold'em Limit ($2/$4)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
UTG raise, fold, fold, MP1 calls, Hero calls, fold, fold, SB calls, BB calls

*** FLOP *** [2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (5 players/10 SB)
SB checks, BB bets, UTG calls, MP1 raises, Hero ???
Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Flopped top pair but...

Before we discuss the flop, how about that preflop cold-call?! 3-bet or fold to a UTG raise from an unknown with AJs.

On the flop, flee.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 PM

Pre-flop is a pretty standard SSHE play. AJs doesn't have as much high-card strength vs. its strength in a multi-way pot (which this will be). It's either AJs vs. 3 on a 3-bet, or AJs vs. 5 on a cold-call. I like the latter.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:08 AM

I'm folding here. I don't even think our ace is any good here even and if it were, we're drawing razor thin with that many opponents.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:09 AM

If I think UTG can fold black AK for 2 cold on the turn, I coldcall the flop and raise a non-diamond turn. Otherwise fold.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:17 AM

I like the coldcall preflop in an attempt to keep one or both of the blinds in the hand, especially considering there was already a cold caller behind you.

On the flop I think you have to let this one go. If you're ahead (which I dont think you are) you likely have to avoid a bunch of cards twice (all diamonds and anything that can give someone aces up), so I think a fold is good.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:43 AM

I think folding preflop is an option depending on read of UTG and read on players left to act including the blinds. Man the flop is a pretty tough spot, I would probably 3 bet though not sure if it's correct, would really depend on read of MP1.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding preflop is an option depending on read of UTG and read on players left to act including the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with that. It wouldn't be too hard to get away from AJs if the right person raised UTG. However this UTG was no rock.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I think UTG can fold black AK for 2 cold on the turn, I coldcall the flop and raise a non-diamond turn. Otherwise fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one who concerns me here is MP. His raise tells me he's not afraid of the A flop or the 3-flush. It's the play I would make with a bet and a caller ahead of me and two players still to act if I had a flush that didn't include the A. I'd also do it with aces up or AK. Either way, his raise tells me I'm in real trouble.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I think you have to let this one go. If you're ahead (which I dont think you are) you likely have to avoid a bunch of cards twice (all diamonds and anything that can give someone aces up), so I think a fold is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I thought at the time. The pot is a good size (14sb to me needing to call 2) but staying in the hand could get really expensive and there are land mines everywhere.

And though I felt I had the biggest A at the table, dodging 9 diamonds twice is not something I want to try. And there's a chance my read is wrong and I'm already pooched by a bigger ace.