Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Bankroll for B&M?

Just took a trip to Commerce last night. Played in the Limit 2/4 game. I couldn't believe how bad most of the players were.

Just wondering, does the same 300bb bankroll rule apply here(for winning players). After about 30 minutes of sitting down I realized I was better than probably every person at the table that night. Seeing as how it played more like a .05/.10 game on Stars(in which, IMO, you don't need a 300bb bankroll for, since most players are too bad to make you lose +200bb), is it necessary to have a $1200 bankroll for live 2/4 with the current state of poker being what it already is?

I'm not suggesting that a very skilled player could bankroll himself for $100 in the live 2/4 and your local fish store. Just considering that maybe $600 or $800 would be enough. Also, I have no intention on playing live full time. I will be playing online most of the time, but I think I may want to make a trip to the B&M on the weekends when the games are very nice.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for B&M?

Well... yes and no. Do you need a 200BB roll to play live no, you are not trying to make a living on it, not that you could at 2/4.

I will tell you this, low limit games have a huge varance! Those bad players are so bad that it truely becomes gambooling... Who on earth would call a capped bet PF from the BB with 72o? Many of the same fish you are looking to snag, so when the flop comes A22 and you start thinking your AK is going to sweep a monster pot and the SB leads out and the BB raises, think again...

If you have between 300 and 500 and do not get maried to your big hands and can laydown when you know you are beat, you should be fine.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Hey guy you don't need 300bb that rule is on the internet so you don't go broke. You should only sit down with 25bb-50 bb at the table you don't wanna sit down with 600$ at 2/4 game you wont need it.Players seem to think there are fishes online not true the fishes are in live games, there are people there on vaction playing for fun,old men, ladies, people who are there to try there luck you name it.If i was pro i would not certainly play on the net i would play in live games i quit playing online because i was making 3x the money in live games i live in las vegas and play 4x a week ussally at mirage but have been playing at the mgm and rio latly.Its funny how in live games you get 6 players to the river and people make ridiculous calls, but live games are sweet.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:24 PM

maybe with some of that money you make in B&M games, you can buy some more periods for your sentences.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Hey... with the money you make, you can buy truckloads of Hemingway books with periods at the ends of sentences.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM

HaHa did you steal that from HFAP. Is this better.Lmao, look im just giving my option.This is about poker not grammer go to another site if you wanna talk about that.
And live poker is sucker city.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 PM

Don't forget that, in addition to using periods (and using them correctly), question marks are also accepted and encouraged when appropriate. Capitalizing every letter in your acronyms is also good form, as is spelling grammar correctly. Also, you meant "opinion".

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(For the record, this is about punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and semantics, not grammar.)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14 PM

i used to take stabs at the 2/4 with whatever i had at the time, and it was fun... but the games there are so swingy, if you plan to play it regularly.. 300BB is not a bad idea, and at the 4/8 at commerce Id wanna have more, that game is just nuts
Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Just over 20 BB is fine in most live games. Usually it's easiest to round up to the nearest rack of $100.

(Ex: Most people buy in for 1 rack ($100) at 2/4. 2 racks at 4/8, etc.

50 is way too much. You'd look like a boob buying in for $400 at a 4/8 table.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM

you'll have a pretty huge standard deviation in those no foldem games... and your win rate won't be nearly as high as you'd expect b/c usually the rake is pretty horrible. buying in for $100 in fine, but if thats all you bring with you, then plan to have some short sessions if you get a few big hands cracked early.