Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 06:21 PM

Default quick flop line check with top 2 - 5/10

5/10 I have 1000, raiser has 600 and isn't great, 1 limper, He makes it 40 to go UTG+1, 1 caller, I call on the button with 85s.

Flop comes 852 2 hearts, 1 club, I have 85 clubs.

Raiser bets 80, next guy calls, I call.

Lately with two pair I find myself calling the flop and then hitting on the turn assuming it isn't a heart. Problem is that I have a hard time defining the other guy (not the raiser's hand), should I be raising this flop?

Please no comments about the preflop call.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: quick flop line check with top 2 - 5/10

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 I have 1000, raiser has 600 and isn't great, 1 limper, He makes it 40 to go UTG+1, 1 caller, I call on the button with 85s.

Flop comes 852 2 hearts, 1 club, I have 85 clubs.

Raiser bets 80, next guy calls, I call.

Lately with two pair I find myself calling the flop and then hitting on the turn assuming it isn't a heart. Problem is that I have a hard time defining the other guy (not the raiser's hand), should I be raising this flop?

Please no comments about the preflop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a min-raise, which lets pf raiser come over the top if he has a big pair, which lets you get it all in on the flop.

Plus, given pot odds, PFR will call a min-raise with just overcards. That is the only way you're getting more money from overcards unless he improves on the turn.

If they both call and the flush hits, you get to check behind on the turn and try to improve for "free".

How big is coldcaller's stack?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:37 PM

I just mentioned to another guy in another thread that if you folded EVERY time you got min raised it would be +EV (your fold I mean).

I know its unrealistic because people will min raise the hell out of you, but you just reinforced my advice to the other guy with your advice.

Not saying your advice is wrong of course.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, given pot odds, PFR will call a min-raise with just overcards. That is the only way you're getting more money from overcards unless he improves on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Where are you playing? Who calls a raise here in a 3 way pot after someone called your bet with A K high? (or the like?) I guess some do, but "WOW."
2. You hit your hand, do not play to win a little pot from every possible holding, play to stack what you feel is a big hand. Raise the flop, get money in, before scare cards come.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Where are you playing? Who calls a raise here in a 3 way pot after someone called your bet with A K high? (or the like?) I guess some do, but "WOW."
2. You hit your hand, do not play to win a little pot from every possible holding, play to stack what you feel is a big hand. Raise the flop, get money in, before scare cards come.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the thinking of a bad player:

1) I have an ace and a <blank>. Or perhaps I have a king and a <blank>. I bet that if I catch them they will be good.
2) Look how big this pot is! Time to see if I catch my card.
3) After all, it's only a minimum raise, that's cheap!

I agree with Bobbi's point #2.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just mentioned to another guy in another thread that if you folded EVERY time you got min raised it would be +EV (your fold I mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple guys in the game I play who minraise me out of big pots a lot.

I caught one bluffing for about $1000. I think the minraise bluffs may stop from him.

From the other one, I'm not sure.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:45 PM

Cold caller has about the same as me, 1000.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:02 PM

I don't slowplaying my hidden monsters (actually most monsters [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Punish the in-between drawer, and get action from the original overpair preflop raiser...while he still has an overpair! Too many cards on the turn will kill your action.

Garland