Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Monster Laydowns

Ive noticed in the last couple of posts there have been considerations of laying down hands i would instahcall with almost 100% of the time. I suppose that might be attributed to the fact that i only play $50nl but how does one go about laying down hands like 66 on a 67Q7 board from Adam Braggars post or AKh on the 73K5A board from thabadguys post? Are these laydowns common? It would seem that these hands would be favorites in so many instances but maybe not. Do i just need more experience to make these reads and are these lay downs dependent upon the stakes played? Thanks!

Nate
Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Monster Laydowns

a major difference between your level and something like 5-10 nl is that players don't overvalue their hands as much. most people at $50 nl will soil themselves when they have trips or even top pair, and you have to adjust accordingly... at higher stakes, people are going to be pushing w/ a lot more legitimate hands so you need to raise your requirements for calling in these situations.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive noticed in the last couple of posts there have been considerations of laying down hands i would instahcall with almost 100% of the time. I suppose that might be attributed to the fact that i only play $50nl but how does one go about laying down hands like 66 on a 67Q7 board from Adam Braggars post or AKh on the 73K5A board from thabadguys post? Are these laydowns common? It would seem that these hands would be favorites in so many instances but maybe not. Do i just need more experience to make these reads and are these lay downs dependent upon the stakes played? Thanks!

Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

If these were easy laydowns they wouldn't have been posted to the group.

I've folded the underfull exactly once in my poker career, I think.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:18 PM

In the beggining of my poker playing days, i folded QQ on a KQJJ board because i thought the guy had KK (both of us were tight and he went all in with a full stack on the turn). He showed JJ afterwards, and obviously didnt belive I made that fold. I mean.. nowadays id never do that (unless i was reeeally deep stacked), cause there's too many times you're gonna be wrong and the guy's gonna have AJ, AA, KJ, etc etc...
Old 11-07-2005, 10:37 PM

I folded 99 on an 89t rainbow board after the big blind open moved in for 50 bb and was called by utg who had limped in, becuase I thought one of them had a straight and one had a set or two pair.

BB had 67 and utg had 89, and if I had it to do over I would call because who the [censored] folds second set on the flop for only 50bb? That is dumb.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the beggining of my poker playing days, i folded QQ on a KQJJ board because i thought the guy had KK (both of us were tight and he went all in with a full stack on the turn). He showed JJ afterwards, and obviously didnt belive I made that fold. I mean.. nowadays id never do that (unless i was reeeally deep stacked), cause there's too many times you're gonna be wrong and the guy's gonna have AJ, AA, KJ, etc etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

in my case it was easy.

The board was AK2KQ and I had 22. The action went:

I limp, he raises preflop, I call.
I bet 1/2 pot flop, he calls.
I check turn, he checks.
I check river, he bets allin 4x pot, I fold.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 AM

First of all, most of these laydowns are mildly insane. I think too many people attempt to be super-readers and look for reasons to make "the big fold." I myself would be very hard pressed to make these under fullhouse kind of folds and I play 10/20 nl where you do see people pushing all sorts of hands, many times huge hands where you must be extremely careful. The one exception though is Adam Bragger or however you spell his name. I myself agree with his laydown because this guy knows how to read poker hands. I once saw him laydown a QQ on a Q4558 board because he knew the other guy had the straight flush...the guy turned over the 67 for that exact hand. I have no doubt he eats his cream of wheat with Isiah Thomas every morning thus making him very very good at poker. I know his screen names online and let me tell you, you don't want to mess with him. I have no doubt his 66 laydown was good because the other guy had to have Q7. To the rest, bad laydowns.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:16 AM

You need a solid read to make a huge play. Don't get obsessed with them. You're biggest money will be made playing solid, finding donks and not tilting.