Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Was Sklansky playing the system on PSI2 quarterfinals?

It was basically a supersatellite with 3 players for 2 seats. Sklansky was short stack. He seemed to keep making these big overbet pushes with marginal hands.

I think the idea is if his opponents call and lose they probably don't win a seat. Also, he is probably not as good a tournament player as Chan or Mortenson. By playing this way his logical and strategic strengths weere emphasized and his opponents' strenghts were minimized. It was interesting to see him actually play the way he recommended in the system.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Was Sklansky playing the system on PSI2 quarterfinals?

[ QUOTE ]
It was interesting to see him actually play the way he recommended in the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you are allowed to ask if he was playing the system, then state that it was interesting to see him play the system. Why a question if you know the answer?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 AM

why be a Jerk ?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM

Not an SNG player I take it? Sklansky was one of maybe 2 or 3 during the whole tournament that utilized correct short-stacked, high blind strategy.

Btw, Sklansky called from the bb on a few occassions and completed from the sb, which isn't part of the system.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not an SNG player I take it? Sklansky was one of maybe 2 or 3 during the whole tournament that utilized correct short-stacked, high blind strategy.

Btw, Sklansky called from the bb on a few occassions and completed from the sb, which isn't part of the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Sklansky played good push fold poker and that is why he got that far. My style is definately push on.

It seemed like other players were putting in raises to 80L and Sklansky was open raising allin for 700K with Ax and Kx, so it seemed like a pretty big overbet and a special strategy rersembling the system. Clearly it would be very EV- except for the pressure that the bubble put on his opponents.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:33 AM

His limps and call of a raise with K7s would suggest he was not.

But he seemed to switch to a similar strategy as the divide between he and Chan and Carlos increased. I think it was less because he was worried about being out played and more because the table seemed relatively weak-tight at that point. (As weak tight as players of that caliber can be.)
Old 11-01-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, he is probably not as good a tournament player as Chan or Mortenson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's true for a big MTT, but the difference isn't enough to where he'd use The System, and I'd bet he's just as good as they are at SNGs anyway.

I think he just understands the nature of shortstacked tourney play.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he is probably not as good a tournament player as Chan or Mortenson

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably better than both but he let's his ADD rule. He's may appear calm and relax and tight when he plays but actually he is just thinking about the next horse race he can bet. He really has a problem focusing.

Vince