Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Question with overpairs

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($98.5)
MP ($68.15)
CO ($212.6)
Button ($115.5)
SB ($94.37)
Hero ($147.7)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3, MP calls $3.

Flop: ($16.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP calls $10, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($36.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Villian raises all in. Hero?

I'm always not sure what to do in this type of situation, when I have an overpair and the villian bets into me. Also, is it correct to bet into the pf raiser with an over pair on a non scary board, with 88,99, 1010, JJ?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Question with overpairs

I hope you didn't call. I think he has a very big hand, and was waiting for you to hit.... If he is tricky..
Otherwise, he has AK and youre beat anyways.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:31 PM

"I'm always not sure what to do in this type of situation, when I have an overpair and the villian bets into me."

I would think the answer is an easy fold barring a specific read on the opponent.

He raised PF from the CO. That denotes strength.

He reraised you all-in... I think the bet seems ridiculous. So ridiculous, it smells a little. Though if he's tricky, it could be designed to smell fishy?

If he thinks you're on a draw, he's getting you off it. Or, he's been slowplaying you and is overbetting and really (IMO) not getting value out of his hand.

But let's look at what he might have raised with that has you beat.... pocket 3s, 6s, 8s (unlikely)...
Qs, Ks, As (very likely from upfront) and AK

Maybe KQ, KJ? (Its 6 handed, I don't know what else people play as I'm a full ring player)

I think that there's so many hands that would raise from the cutoff that have you beat.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM

I forgot to mention that the villian had just lost 2 hands in a row, one to me, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, what about my second question? When a flop like that comes out and u have 88, 99, 1010, JJ, do you bet into the preflop raiser?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:42 PM

He has so little money left that you probably have to call.

This is very close.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM

Fold it. Don't go too deep with a 1-pair hand, plus I can't see how you're ahead here.

And yes, I will usually bet into the preflop raiser there. I don't want them controlling the action, and leaving me in the dark as to what they have.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM

You also don't have an overpair anymore.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm always not sure what to do in this type of situation, when I have an overpair and the villian bets into me."

I would think the answer is an easy fold barring a specific read on the opponent.

He raised PF from the CO. That denotes strength.

He reraised you all-in... I think the bet seems ridiculous. So ridiculous, it smells a little. Though if he's tricky, it could be designed to smell fishy?

If he thinks you're on a draw, he's getting you off it. Or, he's been slowplaying you and is overbetting and really (IMO) not getting value out of his hand.

But let's look at what he might have raised with that has you beat.... pocket 3s, 6s, 8s (unlikely)...
Qs, Ks, As (very likely from upfront) and AK

Maybe KQ, KJ? (Its 6 handed, I don't know what else people play as I'm a full ring player)

I think that there's so many hands that would raise from the cutoff that have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villan is MP
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Hero calls all in. Villian shows A5D and MHIG. I wouldnt normally make this call, but the villian had been making some crazy plays lately.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Well I had originally read it as if villain was CO. But even so... Hero has committed $34 up to this point, and would need to commit another $34 to continue. Can't see how one could do that with only second pair.