Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: The Rebluff

You should probably stop giving advice if this is what you're going to offer up.

I have a crush on K9o.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:43 PM

I would rather see him post and learn from feedback to his posts.

- Jim
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Result: The Rebluff

Result: I said "3-bet," reached for my chips, and was suddenly covered in yellow. Villain insta-mucked his hand to my 3-bet and said, "Ach! I figured I'd catch you bluffing this time."

And yes, he said, "Ach!"

As for Rubenstein: "You knew looking at the flop that he'd check the flop *and* the turn?"

After I checked behind him on the flop, he gave me a look like that said, "Huh. I guess you have crap." When he checked the turn I had a very strong feeling that he was inviting me to BLUFF (as opposed to betting with goods). Hence, my 3-bet. Reads like this are few and far between. And even then, they're not always good.

But I felt confident in this one.

Glad I was right.

And...incidentally...I guess I had the winner all along.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM

I don't think betting every flop is a good blind stealing strategy. It makes you very predictable. I like checking behind and then betting/raising the turn to mix it up. As others have pointed out the 3-bet is relatively expensive to the pot and you really have to consider your reads.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM

I'd bet the flop.

His C/R on turn sure looks like he's got a 7.

Why fight for a 2 BB pot with nothing but K high anyway?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Result: The Rebluff

Nice read. My previous advice before I looked at the results seems silly to me now [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have pointed out the 3-bet is relatively expensive to the pot and you really have to consider your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really expensive? If I commit to putting in three big bets at the start of the turn, then I'm risking three big bets to win four big bets (the two in the pot plus the two I'll get when he c/r bluffs the turn). So, I have to be confident that he's c/r bluffing at least 43% of the time. My reads gave me much more confidence than 43%.

Perhaps the proponents of the "this is really expensive" line of thought are primarily online players. Online, this is a suicidal move. In B&M, I actually think I'm getting a good price for this move. Next time, I suppose I'll post (or x-post) a very read-dependent hand in B&M.

Edit: In my original post, I wrote that I felt there was at least a 25% chance that he was bluffing. I should have considered 43 (not 25) since I had made up my mind prior to his turn c/r.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After I checked behind him on the flop, he gave me a look like that said, "Huh. I guess you have crap." When he checked the turn I had a very strong feeling that he was inviting me to BLUFF (as opposed to betting with goods). Hence, my 3-bet. Reads like this are few and far between. And even then, they're not always good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The beauty of playing live. Nicely done.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Result: I said "3-bet," reached for my chips, and was suddenly covered in yellow. Villain insta-mucked his hand to my 3-bet and said, "Ach! I figured I'd catch you bluffing this time."

And yes, he said, "Ach!"

As for Rubenstein: "You knew looking at the flop that he'd check the flop *and* the turn?"

Glad I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone read this and suddenly re-open Barron's mag article thread?

Funny...

-ZEN
Old 10-07-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And yes, he said, "Ach!"

Glad I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone read this and suddenly re-open Barron's mag article thread?

Funny...

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
This is nothing like that. Thank you for playing.