Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the more legendary SNG player?
Gigabet 127 85.23%
Raptor 22 14.77%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Brand Spankin\' New Glock 19

[ QUOTE ]
Because if you are being beaten to a pulp by a gang or being assaulted in any way, I can come in and stop what is going on immediately by pulling out a gun rather than just pointing and laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

We already agreed that you aren't legally allowed to do anything unless my life is in immediate danger. We also agreed that if my life was in immediate danger I would still probably be better off if you didn't try to be a hero.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
al right, if you like, EVEN THOUGH IT'S RELEVANT, we'll exclude internatioal gun stuff, and just talk local.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also want to remind you that this is a discussion on CONCEALED weapons. Not just your right to have a gun in your house. Many of the points you have made have been irrelevent regarding concealed weapons.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 PM

ACCIDENTAL DEATHS

Myth: Accidental gun fatalities are a serious problem

Fact: Firearm misuse causes only a small number of accidental deaths in the U.S. For example, compared to accidental death from firearms, you are:

- Four times more likely to burn to death or drown
- 17 times more likely to be poisoned
- 19 times more likely to fall
- And 53 times more likely to die in an automobile accident

Fact: In 2001, there were only 65 accidental gun deaths for children under age 13. About 11 times as many children die from drowning.

Fact: In 1993, there were 1,334 drownings and 528 firearm-related accidental deaths from ages 0-19. Firearms outnumber pools by a factor of over 30:1. Thus, the risk of drowning in a pool is nearly 100 times higher than from a firearm-related accident for everyone, and nearly 500 times for ages 0-5.

Fact: Medical mistakes kill 400,000 people per year - about one fully loaded jumbo jet per day - or about 286 times the rate of all accidental firearm deaths. This translates into 1 in 6 doctors causing an accidental death, and 1 in 56,666 gun owners doing the same.

Fact: Around 2,000 patients each year - six per day - are accidentally killed or injured in hospitals by registered nurses.

Myth: Innocent bystanders are often killed by guns.

Fact: Less than 1% of all gun homicides involve innocent bystanders.

Myth: Citizens are too incompetent
to use guns for protection.

Fact: About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000.116 And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.

Myth: Gun accidents are flooding emergency rooms.

Fact: The rate of gun accidents is so low the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission doesn't even mention them in their annual safety reports.

any other questions? [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 09:37 PM

please comment on this...

The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000. And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And 53 times more likely to die in an automobile accident

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times does a car succesfully serve it's purpose. How many times does a concealed weapon serve it's intended purpose. The answer to the first question is a lot, the answer to the second is probably never.

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: In 2001, there were only 65 accidental gun deaths for children under age 13. About 11 times as many children die from drowning.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times is a child handling a gun? How many times is a child swimming? The ratio of deaths to times the child participated in the said acticity will be much much greater for guns.

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: In 1993, there were 1,334 drownings and 528 firearm-related accidental deaths from ages 0-19. Firearms outnumber pools by a factor of over 30:1. Thus, the risk of drowning in a pool is nearly 100 times higher than from a firearm-related accident for everyone, and nearly 500 times for ages 0-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. This is a pretty stupid point by the way. It doesn't matter the total number of guns, it matters how many times a child is in direct contact with a gun. And oyu said the information regarding anti gun protests was biased...

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Medical mistakes kill 400,000 people per year - about one fully loaded jumbo jet per day - or about 286 times the rate of all accidental firearm deaths. This translates into 1 in 6 doctors causing an accidental death, and 1 in 56,666 gun owners doing the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how many times is a gun directly responsible for saving a life. How many times does modern medicine save a life? Great point. Guns are safer than doctors. That's good stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Around 2,000 patients each year - six per day - are accidentally killed or injured in hospitals by registered nurses.

[/ QUOTE ]

see above..

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: Less than 1% of all gun homicides involve innocent bystanders.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what percentage of innocent bystanders are saved by concealed weapons? I would say a save bet is zero. In other words there are infinitely more innocent bystanders killed by concealed weapons than saved by concealed weapons. See I can spin the facts in my favor too....

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent person are less than 1 in 26,000.116 And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes almost 2,500,000 times every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again this is just a function of the total number of people carrying concealed weapons and the total number of cops with guns. Cops are also constantly in situations where they are using their guns.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think there's any correlation to the amount of guns in the populous and the amount of deaths/murders?

[/ QUOTE ]

No:

djj,

Read every page on this site:

www.guncite.com

Take as long as you want. All of the articles are footnoted, often with links to articles with opposing views. Even if it doesn't change your mind, it will stop you from repeating hackneyed BS that was debunked years ago.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM

"We also agreed that if my life was in immediate danger I would still probably be better off if you didn't try to be a hero."

I didn't agree to that. Remember, just the fear of a gun pointed at them is enough for most felons to stop. Think of how many times police pull out guns compared to how many times shots are fired. The potential of immediate deadly force is a huge deterrent not taken into factor.

I don't know why you would think that a hero stepping in would be detrimental, because I certainly would want someone to step in for me.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 PM

"And how many times is a gun directly responsible for saving a life?"

about 2,500,000 times per year.

next question?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . How many times does a concealed weapon serve it's intended purpose. The answer to the first question is a lot, the answer to the second is probably never.

. . . And how many times is a gun directly responsible for saving a life.

. . .And what percentage of innocent bystanders are saved by concealed weapons? I would say a save bet is zero. In other words there are infinitely more innocent bystanders killed by concealed weapons than saved by concealed weapons. See I can spin the facts in my favor too....

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that you have no idea what the facts are:

[ QUOTE ]
How Often Are Firearms Used in Self-Defense?

Introduction
There are approximately two million defensive gun uses (DGU's) per year by law abiding citizens. That was one of the findings in a national survey conducted by Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist in 1993. Prior to Dr. Kleck's survey, thirteen other surveys indicated a range of between 800,000 to 2.5 million DGU's annually. However these surveys each had their flaws which prompted Dr. Kleck to conduct his own study specifically tailored to estimate the number of DGU's annually.

Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text, PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.

[/ QUOTE ]

From here.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
djj,

Read every page on this site:

www.guncite.com

Take as long as you want. All of the articles are footnoted, often with links to articles with opposing views. Even if it doesn't change your mind, it will stop you from repeating hackneyed BS that was debunked years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is this "hackneyed BS"? I just went through every single statistic that ace cited and said why it doesn't support his claim. I also am not expecting to get unbiased information from a place called guncite.com.