Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Players discussing hands while the action is live.

This is something that has been driving me nuts lately, people discussing other player’s hands, or hand possibilities given the board while the action is still live. I have been playing quite a bit in local cardrooms around Oklahoma and I am beginning to see this more and more.

For example I was playing 1 / 2 NL the other night and flopped a set against two huge fish. When I check raised the turn, another player that wasn’t involved in the hand pipes up and says “OH MAN! That dude never plays, he must have a set.” Needless to say the fish reconsider their hands and fold. I would like to say this is an isolated incidence, but its not. Some of these players just cannot keep their mouths shut during the hand. My question is, what can be done to correct this situation?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Players discussing hands while the action is live.

"Dealer, would you please remind the table not to discuss the hand while it's still in play?"

Add evil looks at offenders and/or kicks in the nuts as you see fit.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Train the G-D dealers. I got yelled at for doing this my first time playing live in AC, and I never did it again.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Ok I hate what you're talking about, no question, but as a slight hijack, does any one else not like when dealers tell me not to talk about a hand when it's heads up with me and my opponent. Poker is a game of, amoung other things, psychology, and taking away my ability to talk really hinders the game both fun wise and profit wise.

Cody
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Welcome to the glamorous world of low limit B+M.

If it were me, I'd let it slide. Nothing kills action more than a whiney table image.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM

Try playing a few hands and/or not check/raising the turn with a set. If the people playing 1/2 NL can read your hand that clearly you are doing something not right.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I hate what you're talking about, no question, but as a slight hijack, does any one else not like when dealers tell me not to talk about a hand when it's heads up with me and my opponent. Poker is a game of, amoung other things, psychology, and taking away my ability to talk really hinders the game both fun wise and profit wise.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If this is not a house rule, gently tell the dealer to mind their own business, and continue talking to your opponent.

2. If this is a house rule, don't get mad at the dealer for doing their job. Talk to management about changing the rule. If they refuse, and it is so important to you, find another place to play that will allow you to talk heads up.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM

"Try playing a few hands and/or not check/raising the turn with a set. If the people playing 1/2 NL can read your hand that clearly you are doing something not right."

I wouldn't doubt that I'm not doing something right. I have only recently started playing NL ring games due to the total lack of interest of the people here wanting to play limit games above 3/6, and the fact that the NL is rediculously juicy.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

On the list of rules listed in the room, it should say 'one player to a hand'. Along with something stating that while a hand is in progress players out of the hand should keep their yaps shut.

Ask the dealer to explain the rule, or call the floor.

Calling for this rule isn't nitty or whiny. Most of these types of idiots wouldn't like it if you begged off their action. I can think of ways of doing that and being so obvious about it to really make my point to these morons.

I did this when a guy was about to call me and someone piped up. The guy who called me was saying how it was no big deal. I put it in his perspective giving him a possible play he could've done(raise instead of call in that case) that would've affected him, but since someone piped up, it may have deterred him. Then he kinda saw the light.

This is a rule well worth enforcing.

b

ps...Not to mention, you beg off action in a big hand from someone, they may take exception and meet you outside.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish more dealers were like this. People like you slow the game down and make things less fun for everybody.