Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Default When sevens are an under-pair

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Pokertracker says SB is LP-P, BB is TP-A, UTG+2 is TA-N, and MP1 is LP-P. The table had been pretty loose for $5/$10.

Preflop: SamIAm is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SamIAm calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, SamIAm checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">SamIAm ...</font>

This hand seems a lot more straight-forward in retrospect; the bet on the turn seems pretty easy. I don't really believe anybody would check-raise the turn after it's checked-through the flop. I suppose they could be trying to induce a bluff.

But, what's your line if I meet opposition? If I get a caller, do I bet the river if a blank falls? If I get raised, do I immediately fold?

I like it when my wired pairs are just "Did I flop a set? Fit or fold." When my hand might actually win unimproved, it gets a bit harder. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: When sevens are an under-pair

Nice bet -- i'm taking a free showdown if I get any callers (unless I spike a 7 on the river).

If you get raised... I think i'm gone except possibly to BB, but in this pot, i'm probably folding to him, too.

A case could be made for raising pf if you think you could push UTG+2 off on the flop and isolate the calling station (and fold the blinds).

-d
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM

I'd probably just bet the flop.

The turn is a definite bet. There's really very little chance you don't hold the best hand.

I raise this preflop every time.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Had you raised PF this hand would be much easier to play. That being said, you should bet out the flop and turn. Use your position.