Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 07:06 PM

Default SNG Variance

What is the variance like in SNG's? What is the equivelent (in terms of frequency) of losing 200 big bets playing limit? What is your biggest downsing, or biggest number of consecutive SNG losses?
-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo
Old 03-23-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: SNG Variance

Here's one opinion:

My bankroll went from 100BB to 650BB playing ring in about 1 month. It then went from 650BB to 0BB in about three weeks. I'm willing to quickly admit some of this was due to my skill or the lack there of.

My SNG bankroll has never fluctuated down for more than 8 buy-ins ever.

While my style of play may be better suited to SNGs, I also find that the fluctuations are much smaller. When I played ring for an evening I would loose 50 or win 150. Playing 2 SNGs I might lose 22 or win 100. For me the swings are much milder, the ROI is higher, and personally I just enjoy the games more.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:17 PM

Really rough guess, drop a zero from the BB and change it to buy in. So a 30 buy in drop would be like a 300BB loss. Note I have no numbers to back this up, it is just a guess.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 PM

My biggest losing streak is 14 in a row and that's probably close to my biggest downswing.

Hey Zee, I can't say your presence is welcome at the 200s Go back to the ring. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm abc987 btw, sorry about those suckouts a little bit ago heads up.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 AM

If u are playing full time (3 tournaments at the time and 5-10 hours a day) I reckon $10.000 should be enough to handle the swings.
never had a loosing streak reach more than 6000-7000 myself but thats due to my gameplan. (table selection, table selection!!!)
Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the variance like in SNG's? What is the equivelent (in terms of frequency) of losing 200 big bets playing limit? What is your biggest downsing, or biggest number of consecutive SNG losses?
-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo

[/ QUOTE ]

I went 70% ROI for about 40 tourneys, and then went 1 for 15 once.

eastbay
Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 AM

For some reason SNGs are really streaky for me, and I seem to have settled into a nice rollercoaster pattern. My biggest losing streak is 12 and I've done it twice. I've had several more of 8 or 9. But I've also had a winning streak of 11 with 8 firsts (!) Take my last 30. The first 15 I cashed 3 out of 15. The last 15 I cashed 10 out of 15 and 5 of them are firsts. I'd rather settle in to kind of a win 3, lose 2 scenario, but I'll take what I can get. IO money 40% - 42% pretty consistently at this point. This is all on Paradise btw, which bears mentioning since I know most people here play Stars or Party.