Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Good spot to push, right?

This is a hand from the $5k Guaranteed on Empire earlier tonight. 26 people left, so we're in the money. Next significant jump in cash comes at place 10 (only $5 more for 11-20). My stack is a bit below average but still playable. Lots of pots get raised so finding spots to steal isn't that easy at this table, and I've gotten extremely cold cards the last hour. MP2 hasn't done anything out of the ordinary and I think that his limp means he has an ok, but not great hand. BB has been very aggressive and involved in lots of hands, but he's no maniac so he will only call a push here with very good hands. I've been fairly tight and only pushed twice the last 3-4 orbits, got called once and showed AA. Anything besides a push seem like a good idea?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t7587)
BB (t15072)
UTG (t6680)
UTG+1 (t2408)
MP1 (t5692)
MP2 (t9859)
MP3 (t3205)
CO (t12092)
Button (t3200)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t600, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Good spot to push, right?

Call and see a flop, you're not in all in or fold territory yet.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 AM

Hmm, it's probably my SnG play that has me a bit over aggressive here. I was just not looking forward to calling and playing AT without position with a little more than 10BB in my stack. I basically figured that a push had a very good chance of taking down the 1500 already in the pot which would help my stack a bit, but I'll maybe try to be a bit less aggressive next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 AM

I fold this 9 times out of 10, unless the limper is weak. ATo is not a great hand, like you said, and though you're running low on chips you're not quite desperate enough to push this now. Wait for a better opportunity.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this 9 times out of 10, unless the limper is weak. ATo is not a great hand, like you said, and though you're running low on chips you're not quite desperate enough to push this now. Wait for a better opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]your folding AT in the SB??? rightttttttt
Old 08-29-2005, 02:31 AM

your not quite in push mode yet. this is a great oppurtunity to take a flop and try to hit something.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 AM

You increase your stack by 20% if you pick up the pot here. Seems close to me between pushing and calling.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 AM

That was exactly what I was thinking before pushing. Unless he limped in with AJ, I'm ahead of all hands except the pocket pairs. My image should also be solid enough to make him fold trash like QJ or K9 and quite possibly the low pocket pairs. If he has 77-99 then so be it, it's still a coinflip but otherwise I think that this move is relatively risk free and a 20% stack increase would let me sit back and wait for a real hand, at least a little while.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 AM

lol oops I misread the poster's position. Definite call, but I'd still shy away from a push.