Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 PM

Default small pairs against UTG raise

Thoughts on my line here? Played an orbit or two with villain; he's played perhaps 3 hands (i.e. relatively tight) and hasn't raised yet. No postflop read.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

I bet into preflop raiser on an all-undercard flop hoping to get raised and get it HU. I think villain raises a variety of hands on this flop.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>

I decide to CC turn and bet any non-paint river card.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: small pairs against UTG raise

I'd check call the river as well, 3 bet on the river I'd probably fold it. Maybe call the 3 bet on the river to get a read on the opponent for the next time you get into a pot with them?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:30 PM

i like it up to the river since his most likely holdings are overcards or a high pp. however now he might fold his overcards thinking you have him beat. if you check he might try one more bet, knowing a bluff is his only hope, and you will win that extra bet. if you bet here and he has a big PP i dont think he's going to fold it for one bet on the river, since it is such an ideal spot for someone to bluff, and you might even get raised.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like it up to the river since his most likely holdings are overcards or a high pp. however now he might fold his overcards thinking you have him beat. if you check he might try one more bet, knowing a bluff is his only hope, and you will win that extra bet. if you bet here and he has a big PP i dont think he's going to fold it for one bet on the river, since it is such an ideal spot for someone to bluff, and you might even get raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM

i think i would have folded on the turn to the bet. a raise + bet on turn usually doesnt shout overcards to me...at least not without any significant reads. one orbit is not a read unless u see him do something crazy.

with another caller, a smallish pot, and little room for improvement i also might fold this on flop.

but your question was for the river...you should def see a SD but id check/call.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like it up to the river since his most likely holdings are overcards or a high pp. however now he might fold his overcards thinking you have him beat. if you check he might try one more bet, knowing a bluff is his only hope, and you will win that extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In retrospect since my hand has showdown value this seems obvious and I like your line better. With a suited connector and a missed draw firing on the river might make more sense hoping to fold out A-high.