Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Robert Varkonyi = Rodney Dangerfield

[ QUOTE ]
He was very humble about his big win, and he signed chips, photos, and even his business card for me. I've never met a guy so down-to-earth with his kind of status in the poker world, and he was vastly more catering to the "little guys" (i.e. fans)than most pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that as though he's some kind of celebrity or something. Was anyone actually asking for his autograph?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the first time Furlong was on a final table in the main event at WSOP so he is not THAT bad. I think that Varkonoyi and Moneymaker are the two worst players to have won the main event the last 10 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and it's not even close. (To use an overused 2+2 cliche)
Old 03-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Hey you guys are forgetting the best part of Varkoni's win. He got to shave Phil Hellmuth's head after Phil bet his hair that an "amateur" couldn't win it all at that final table.

I wonder if anyone actually bought that hair that Phil said he was going to auction off for charity?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if anyone actually bought that hair that Phil said he was going to auction off for charity?

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be added to spaghetti sauce to cure bad beat curses.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 PM

The fact that both Varkonyi and Moneymaker won is what makes poker great. They are both world champions, and deserve to be treated as such.

If there were no luck in poker, the vast majority (99.9+%) of 2+2 posters would have absolutely no chance of ever winning any WSOP event let alone the Main Event. It would be akin to entering the World Chess championship--realistically, only the top few players in the world have any kind of chance of winning at all, and the #1 ranked player would be a prohibitive favorite.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are both world champions, and deserve to be treated as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes both won. Does that mean they are very good players who automaticly gets respect? Varkonyi might be a good guy and Moneymaker might have boosted poker intrest alot but that does not mean they are good players who will earn other poker players respect.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi and Furlong were decent players who were outclassed at the WSOP, but go lucky. Fowler was a fish who got lucky.

Varkonyi won his seat in a satellite at Binions rather than on Poker Stars, so he is not used in the promotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are transposing "Fowler" and "Furlong".

Fowler won in 78 or so, Furlong in 2000, and while Fulong is not considered a top player, it wasn't his first main event final table and he is considered a very good player.

As far as Varkonyi goes, he seems like a very nice, likeable down to earth nerd, which ain;t at all bad. He's just not much of a poker player.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 PM

Varkonyi is not the Rodney Dangerfield of poker. Dangerfield was a talented comedian who claimed to get no respect as part of his act, while Varkonyi is a lucky amateur who truly gets no respect.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi and Furlong were decent players who were outclassed at the WSOP, but go lucky. Fowler was a fish who got lucky.

Varkonyi won his seat in a satellite at Binions rather than on Poker Stars, so he is not used in the promotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are transposing "Fowler" and "Furlong".

Fowler won in 78 or so, Furlong in 2000, and while Fulong is not considered a top player, it wasn't his first main event final table and he is considered a very good player.

As far as Varkonyi goes, he seems like a very nice, likeable down to earth nerd, which ain;t at all bad. He's just not much of a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Varkonyi won another event with pro's in the caribbean later that year. (fact)

2. I heard some people who play with Furlong at his club in England say that he isn't even close to the best player at the club. He is very aggressive and can get lucky. (1st hand hearsay/speculation).
Old 03-09-2005, 07:42 PM

I stand by my comments about Varkonyi and Furlong. You could probably group Moneymaker along with those two as decent players who got lucky.