Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Help on a KQo hand from BB

Thanks a lot. I like the check-raise flop and then lead out the turn, unless I'm re-raised on the flop in which case I fold.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:00 PM

In the second hand I think I am check raising the turn and leading the river. He likely has a King which you have outkicked. There is no way you should worry about quads here - if he does you are just very unlucky and call down if he 3-bets the turn. Most players with a queen will smooth call this flop.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, that's an easy call from the blinds. You have to defend your blinds, otherwise a good player will eat you alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not certain that a good player UTG is raising to steal your blind and eat you alive. KQ is in bad shape here against most UTG raises from solid players. Perhaps if you're a better player than me (which is highly likely), you can make up for this domination. I think the posters addressed the other topics well.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not certain that a good player UTG is raising to steal your blind and eat you alive. KQ is in bad shape here against most UTG raises from solid players. Perhaps if you're a better player than me (which is highly likely), you can make up for this domination. I think the posters addressed the other topics well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had edited that first post a couple of minutes after I wrote it. For some reason I had thought villian was CO.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:11 PM

My b, Nibster. Good observation then with your original assumption.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM

If you fold this in the big blind getting 4.5:1 you are throwing away money. The only hands you are more than a 4.5:1 dog to are precisely AA and KK.

Furthermore, his flop raise does not necessarily mean you are beaten. Many players do not like to be donked into after raising pre-flop "You're betting into me, bitch? I raised preflop. If you had it, you would check-raise me, etc." Furthermore your bet heads up does not have to indicate top pair. You could have middle pair, bottom pair, a pocket pair, straight draw, all sort of things. In which case a hand like AK or AJs would be correct to free-card you. Furthermore, you could be chopping with another KQ. Even if you are behind, you still must call the raise, because you have outs against many hands that beat you, like AA, KK, AQ, plus the non-negligable chance that you're opponent will check behind on the turn.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Note that with a better read, say that the PFR would not raise TT- or KQ from UTG, you could probably safely fold, even with the extra odds from the poster.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, his flop raise does not necessarily mean you are beaten. Many players do not like to be donked into after raising pre-flop "You're betting into me, bitch? I raised preflop. If you had it, you would check-raise me, etc." Furthermore your bet heads up does not have to indicate top pair. You could have middle pair, bottom pair, a pocket pair, straight draw, all sort of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if I were to donkbet the flop here, it would be with the intention of 3-betting, cause I already know he's going to raise. This is the kind of play that makes an impression on people. Seeing that he is sitting on your left, you have a special relationship with him. So a donk/3-bet is cool too. If he calls just donk the turn if a blank comes.