Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: First hand of a sit-n-go

It's sounding like this is a tournament where you start with 1500 chips, right? That's important. Starting with 800 chips as you would in a low-level Party tournamnet, I'd give some thought to pushing, although I probably fold to a re-re-raise and a call. Calling doesn't really strike me as an option. With 1500 chips to start, I call, then check/fold that flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM

UTG raises to 40.
You re-raise to 120.

This play is fine.

BB min-re-reraises.

This looks bad to me. He isn't doing this on a steal and he isn't doing this with a hand that needs improvement. At least he shouldn't be.

UTG calls.

The next sign that you're in trouble. How many hands are min-raising in first position and then cold calling 2 more raises? This very suspicious.

You min-re-re-reraise.

WTF? This is awful. You aren't going to isolate a player like this. It's an ineffective way to build the pot if that's what you're trying to do (and it shouldn't be, btw) because you could build an even larger pot with a larger raise. They both have already shown great strength, they aren't going anywhere to a larger-than-the-minimum raise. I wouldn't fold your hand at this point, but I think the best play is to call. Second to that is raising, but by a larger amount. I'd make this at least t600 to go if you have t1500 starting stacks. Even then, you've managed to get 1/3 of your stack in with a hand that needs improvement, which isn't good either. But I still like it better than the min-re-re-reraise or whatever it is by this time. Third, I like a fold, but you're getting way too good of odds to do that, even if you're fairly sure you're behind. I don't put your play anywhere on my list. I put that on my list of things I wouldn't do unless I had a gun to my head.

BB re-re-re-reaises to all-in.

You should be somewhat certain that AK is no longer good. The absolute worst hand he does this with is AK I think.

UTG calls all-in.

You should be fairly confident that AK is no longer even a coinflip and at the very least, you're missing at least 2 outs, so your odds of hitting the hand are even worse now if it is a coinflip. It's an easy fold now.

You call all-in
The correct move is now to pray for a miracle.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:51 PM

After the hands were revealed I felt like the light bulb went on just in time to see myself get run over by the train.

I figured that I should have either called the re-re-raise or folded after giving the hand some thought, but considering how poorly I played the hand in the first place, I didn't want to further complicate things buy coming to the wrong conclusion in my evaluation.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:47 PM

what they said.

SAM