Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 PM

Default officiating in the giants/skins game

i'm not going to get into listing each bad call one by one, but i thought the officiating in the jints/skins game was absolutely egregious. The giants got hosed all day. Between all the bad calls, the bad spots, and the bad non-calls, i cant remember a game where the giants got hosed this badly in a very long time. It was really ridiculous.

I'm not saying the giants would have won if the officiating were more fair, but i think it would have been a closer game and could have gone either way. A number of skins drives that ended up in scores would have been stopped if it werent for suspect calls against the giants, and then that holding call that took away the toomer td in the 4th quarter was just utter bullsh1t. you cant make a call thats sujective like that with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. it has to be more flagrant than that.

I'm a giants fan, and i try to be unbiased when i evaluate the team and watch games, but this one has me steamed. i really felt the officiating was one sided.

Thoughts?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: officiating in the giants/skins game

i feel the same way, it was really bad. the toomer TD one was nuts, and the "roughing the passer" call was also crazy. it was a late hug not a late hit, ramsey wasnt even close to leaving his feet and the defender obviously pulled up and didn't hit him. that foul made a big difference too.

related, will allen sucks. his coverage on that early td was ATROCIOUS. i could have done better. seriously.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not going to get into listing each bad call one by one, but i thought the officiating in the jints/skins game was absolutely egregious. The giants got hosed all day. Between all the bad calls, the bad spots, and the bad non-calls, i cant remember a game where the giants got hosed this badly in a very long time. It was really ridiculous.

I'm not saying the giants would have won if the officiating were more fair, but i think it would have been a closer game and could have gone either way. A number of skins drives that ended up in scores would have been stopped if it werent for suspect calls against the giants, and then that holding call that took away the toomer td in the 4th quarter was just utter bullsh1t. you cant make a call thats sujective like that with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. it has to be more flagrant than that.

I'm a giants fan, and i try to be unbiased when i evaluate the team and watch games, but this one has me steamed. i really felt the officiating was one sided.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100%. The Giants got their rears handed to them today by Washington, but the officiating was absolutely putrid.

The worst call I thought was the roughing the passer on Alonzo Jackson -- for freaking giving the QB a hug. Incredible.

I have seen too many games that have been changed by these ridiculous 15 yard penalties for roughing the passer where the defender did nothing but blow on the QB. It's time for the NFL to address the fact that these penalties are changing games. Do what they did with roughing the kicker. Add a new penalty called "late contact with the QB" or something like that, and make it a 5 yarder. Save the 15 yard penalties for real roughing the passer that deserves a personal foul. These other ticky tack nonsense calls should be 5 yards.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel the same way, it was really bad. the toomer TD one was nuts, and the "roughing the passer" call was also crazy. it was a late hug not a late hit, ramsey wasnt even close to leaving his feet and the defender obviously pulled up and didn't hit him. that foul made a big difference too.

related, will allen sucks. his coverage on that early td was ATROCIOUS. i could have done better. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on allen. The jints need to address the secondary in the offseason, either via the draft or free agency. It's a big liability for them, and they've managed to hide it up until this game due to the great pass rush, but it needs to be improved. Allen stinks, deloatch makes bad decsisions, webster is unpolished. They really need a lockdown cover corner.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Yea I agree. It seems like the Giants almost have to fight the opposing team and officials when on the road. Granted, they got an extra home game so I suppose it all evens out in the end.
On that holding call (Toomer's TD) it seems like both players spun in opposite directions and both fell down on thier own. But because the official saw the defender on the ground, he "assumed" it was holding. At least that's my view on it.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I agree. It seems like the Giants almost have to fight the opposing team and officials when on the road. Granted, they got an extra home game so I suppose it all evens out in the end.
On that holding call (Toomer's TD) it seems like both players spun in opposite directions and both fell down on thier own. But because the official saw the defender on the ground, he "assumed" it was holding. At least that's my view on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of what the ref "assumed" it was, i know from watching the replay that it was a terrible call, and in a critical situation like that, you better be DEAD CERTAIN that you're right if you're going to call back a TD.

And that's just one bad break the giants got from the officials. There were many more in this game.

I've been a huge giants fan since the LT/Joe Morris days. I'm telling you- this is one of the worst games i've watched as far as lopsided officiating against the giants goes.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Officiating evens out. The Bucs got gifted a victory over the Redskins due to some horrendous calls and non-calls.

The Giants got 9 home games. That's bs.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Officiating evens out. The Bucs got gifted a victory over the Redskins due to some horrendous calls and non-calls.

The Giants got 9 home games. That's bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you. How about your big pass interference call on Shawn Springs perfect defense on a big pass play? I felt there was bad calls on both sides. Besides the Giants didnt have it to win today regardless.

Eli 23/41 still seems to struggle on the road. Maybe game 3 in the playoffs this year?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about your big pass interference call on Shawn Springs perfect defense on a big pass play?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're thinking of the same play, that was PI. He made a great play with his free hand to bat the ball away, but he wrapped around Toomers waist with his other hand, slowing him down and not allowing him to make a break on the ball. The Giants D didn't play anywhere close to good enough to win, but the refs didn't give them any help whatsoever, IMO. Of course, I'm a biased Giants fan, so what do I know?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:42 AM

The Giants wouldn't have scored at the end of the first half if it werent for that BS unnecessary roughness call on the Skins' safety.