Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Default $5K Trump Classic

Here is an interesting hand from the Trump Classic this past weekend. The structure of this tournament was great for the players. We are in the 5th level (90 minute levels) and we are at 100-200 with 25 ante after starting with 10K in chips. I have been playing with the villain of this particular hand all day and he is not a professional, but is a very solid player that I have not seen get out of line yet. In fact he may be a little too tight, but with this structure he does not have to loosen up. My table image was rather loose early in the day when I was playing a lot of pots and got caught in a bluff or two, but I have tightened up over the last hour or so and villain has even commented on how I have not been playing many pots lately.

The hand is SB versus BB after everyone else folds their hands. I have limped in this situation every single time today and often times I have limped without even looking at my cards. The BB has raised my limp about half the time and I have called that raise about half the time.

This hand I have AA and I limp. BB checks his option. Flop comes J92 rainbow. I bet 300. Villain thinks for just a minute and raises to 1200. I think for a minute more and raise it to 2800. Villain sits back for a second and thinks. He decides to make it 5200.

We started this hand with similar chip stacks. I had 15K and villain had 17K.

Am I beat? Do you re-raise, call or fold? What hands do you put the villain on?

This was a tough decision for me and a clock was eventually called on me - by the dealer!

Temp
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: $5K Trump Classic

Tough situation given the fact that by not raising preflop you have no idea what his range is.

I think it is safe to say villain raises you w/ JJ, 99,and AJ so we can throw those out. KJ probably raises too most of the time. I really doubt villain plays QJ or JT like this as well. I think you're looking at a set of 2s, J9, J2, or 92. Maybe villain plays QT like this, but that doesn't seem to fit.

Your behind pretty much all of the hands villain could have that play the hand this way, unless you think villain would sometimes check AJ,99 or JJ hoping to trap.

I think I let it go but am certainly not happy about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

Villain had twopair J9 or set of 2's, prolly set. I think you have to let this go like Matador said.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Hey Temp - Ugh! The dangers of limping the aces. If you limp them you have to try not to fall in love with them. I have to give him credit for at least 2 pair here. He reraised your reraise and you peg him as tight/solid. A non-professional will have trouble laying down even bottom 2 here. I escape now with an ample 12K and play on, you likely have an edge over much of the table and your stack is fine.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 PM

I like the tricky limp here, waiting for him to raise you. However that didn't come and this smells like two pair. I think he may have not put in another raise with a set. J2 or J9 is my best idea of his hand.

I gotta let it go.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM

easy fold, what were you thinking about?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy fold, what were you thinking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost re-raised him, but I ended up folding.

The guy told me the next day that he had A9. He re-re-raised me with middle pair. Based on what I had seen him do up to that point that was a great play. He used his image very well and got me to lay down the better hand. He thought I was making a move on him and he was playing back at me. I should have realized that my image was still rather loose with him.

All in all it was a fun tournament. I made the final table, but missed the big payouts at the top.

Temp
Old 12-20-2005, 02:15 PM

I seriously think he lied to you or he sucks, whats your range on that 3bet?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM

And if he was raising you most of the time you limped then why did he let you limp in when he had A9? I would think that it's an easy raise for him to make. I'm with Roman, he lied and flopped two pair on you.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't think it's unlikely that he told the truth really. People sometimes go nuts in blind v. blind situations. There's no way villain is putting Temp on as strong a hand as he had.