Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM

Default A Non-Standard Set Line

I'm planning to shut down if a third [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls and he shows a ton of agression.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($3.25)
SB ($4.55)
BB ($9.70)
UTG ($9.75)
TAG Hero ($23)
MP1 ($13.35)
MP2 ($5.55)
CO ($9.95)

Preflop: TAG Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TAG Hero raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TAG Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.3</font>, TAG Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TAG Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TAG Hero raises to $2.5....</font>

Meh?

EDIT: I know some of you will hit me for the PF raise. Flame away. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: A Non-Standard Set Line

At 10NL full-ring, I don't like the pre-flop raise UTG+1 because you're too likely to end up playing a bloated multiway pot.

2nd, don't raise pre-flop then check the flop. It screams of strength to an observant player, and to an unobservant loose-passive, they'll just check behind way too often. You started off the aggressor, you should remain the aggressor.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Raise preflop is bad.

I overbet the flop, overbet the turn, and push most rivers here.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM

I agree. This entire hand sucked majorly and I felt dirty after....

I should mention that the table was very passive with a lot of people calling out of blinds. I was fairly confident that I could buy the button with that raise. Still, I agree.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm sorta indifferent to the PFR, although my default move is to limp here I'll raise it up occasionally, especially when I think the table is playing tight enough to give me a reasonable chance of stealing the blinds.

Hitting your hand on this flushing board demands you stay aggressive...you can't have it both ways (because you're in for a world of hurt when he checks the turn through and the third heart falls you'll have no clue where you're at) so get out there and bet, bet, bet.

J
Old 12-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Yeah.

I was hoping he had 10-x and would just go crazy or something. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:55 PM

The preflop raise is fine. One commented it leaves you with a bloated pot multiway. This is a situation that A10 hates but 66 loves. Your hand is EASY to play against 3 or 4 players; just check and fold unless you hit a set or weird over pair. Against 1 or two players you can bet the flop and take it down most of the time.

That being said, when you hit gold on the flop go ahead and bet it. Your opponents will put you on AK and pay you off.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:08 PM

looks fine... although i think you lose some value over the standard 2+2 line.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:19 PM

This is another reason why I like raising with low pocket pairs OOP. Most of money is going in on the flop anyway.

Of course, I played PF that way and then totally donked the flop.