Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

View Poll Results: Best?Favorite Michael Jackson song
Billy Jean 33 35.11%
Smooth Criminal 14 14.89%
Beat it 10 10.64%
Thriller 12 12.77%
Bad 0 0%
Other 17 18.09%
None/Don't like any of it 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Should BK hire Tommy Angelo?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that most top athletes (specifically wrt individual sports like tennis, gymnastics, running, etc.) have coaches who they often swear by, but are nowhere near as good at the sport as the athlete who hires them?

Also, you ignored my comment re: financial advisors. Many very wealthy and successful people have financial advisors. Almost all of these advisors have far less money than their clients.

The top actors in the world often have acting coaches who they consider to be invaluable resources. Yet, these acting coaches are rarely considered to be top actors.

All of these people pay huge money to their coaches/advisors.

Were you aware of these facts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The financial advisor may be true, but it wouldn't be based on networth but average return, and if there results were lower it would need to be due to bad luck.

Would you hire a chess coach that you could beat regularly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If memory serves me correctly, Garry Kasparov who has a FIDE rating of something like 2812 and is one of the best chess players who has ever lived has been coached since 1995 by Yuri Dokhoian, a guy rated in the high 2500s. Kasparov can regularly beat Dokhoian easily, but still has kept him on as a coach. So, yes, if I were a top competitive chess player, I definitely might hire a coach I could beat regularly.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 AM

I didn't expect the thread to take this turn [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you aware that most top athletes (specifically wrt individual sports like tennis, gymnastics, running, etc.) have coaches who they often swear by, but are nowhere near as good at the sport as the athlete who hires them?

Also, you ignored my comment re: financial advisors. Many very wealthy and successful people have financial advisors. Almost all of these advisors have far less money than their clients.

The top actors in the world often have acting coaches who they consider to be invaluable resources. Yet, these acting coaches are rarely considered to be top actors.

All of these people pay huge money to their coaches/advisors.

Were you aware of these facts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The financial advisor may be true, but it wouldn't be based on networth but average return, and if there results were lower it would need to be due to bad luck.

Would you hire a chess coach that you could beat regularly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If memory serves me correctly, Garry Kasparov who has a FIDE rating of something like 2812 and is one of the best chess players who has ever lived has been coached since 1995 by Yuri Dokhoian, a guy rated in the high 2500s. Kasparov can regularly beat Dokhoian easily, but still has kept him on as a coach. So, yes, if I were a top competitive chess player, I definitely might hire a coach I could beat regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you really just know all of that or did you see Rory's post above?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: since you mention chess

[ QUOTE ]
Alex: Would you hire a chess coach that you could beat regularly?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Rory: Kasparov says yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Alex: I don't think this qualifies really for a lot of itangible reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are you normally this muddled?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The type of coaching he gives is different than technical coaching, it's not like Kasparov is asking for technical advice on how to play XX during YY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that's my exact impression of what Tommy is offering. His website is tiltless.com, not howtoplayAKsfromthebigblindafterthreepeoplelimp.co m.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 AM

Even the best chess player in the world is not perfect, or even better than all other players, at all aspects of the game. There is no reason why he shouldn't hire someone who complements his style, and can help fill in the gaps. That person need not be as good at competitive over-the-board chess, where there are a lot of non-chess factors that can affect a player's results, like handling pressure, time management, etc. The best player is not necessarily the best analyst.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM

I don't get why I'm being misunderstood. I said that the ability to play the game well is a pre-req to be a good coach in games where ability is not limited or increased much by genetics or health. If you are better than someone in a game like that then a coach you hire isn't going to be that effective unless he coaches on you the non-technical side of the game (Tilt, focus, discipline, keeping to a training regime, etc).

If the ability to do well in a game is based solely on knowledge then there is no reason why someone you can beat should coach you unlessthere are aspects of the game he is better at. IF he is better at those aspects then there is also no reason why that couldn't be shown.

There are plenty of valid reasons to hire a coach. I just think that in games based on knowledge if you are better than the coach then his services better be tailored to the outside and mental aspects of the game. Looking at TA's website this appears to be the major focus of his coaching package which is why it's probably why it's effective for everybody, even players he doesn't play much better than they do.

Do you think TA would have much to teach someone on blind defense theory if the person he was coaching did much better than him in that regard vs the same players over a significant sample size?

I'm going to admit I'm probably completely wrong on the chess example as it relates to Kasparov, but if a player worse than yourself can coach you well in that game then I'm offering my technical coaching servies in chess or any other game I'm bad at. I'll wait for my PM box to explode.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Nice reply... I'm actually from fargo originally.. and totally agree...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Better question.... Do any of the players that play in the "Big Game" use coaches? Have they ever used coaches?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 AM

I guess i will take that as a compliment!