Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Vegas this Friday - Mid morning Games??

This has probably been covered, but the search function doesn't seem to be working right now.

I'm heading to Vegas this friday (my plane gets in at 9am) and I'm looking to play some poker during the day while I wait for friends to get into town. We're staying at the Luxor, but I'm assuming I'll be playing poker somewhere else.

What rooms are going to be moderately good at this time of day? Is it mostly old nits playing during the day? My usual game is 2/4 6max online, or 4/8 in the LA cardrooms. I just tried 6/12 at the Bike and didn't notice any real difference in playing quality. Basically, i'm open to limit and location suggestions.

During the night/early AM I'm planning on trying Bellagio, Wynn, or MGM - as I hear those are pretty nice.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Vegas this Friday - Mid morning Games??

4/8 at the Wynn!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Staying at Luxor? Head on downstairs for the lunacy!

The $50 NL game at Luxor is perhaps the juiciest game since the invention of poker. You can buy $50 anytime you are under $50, so I'd buy in, post a blind or tip the dealer, and rebuy.

Blinds are 1-1-2, and the morons LOVE to go all-in with crap like middle-pair, no-kicker, and will call off their whole stack on a gutshot (I personally saw an guy call a raise, then overcall an all-in with Q4o, on a board of KQ9r). Invariably, one or two of the fish build up a stack of several hundred bucks, then spew their newfound chips all over the table. It was not unususal to see a halfway decent player playing straighforward, unimaginitive ABC poker, and winning $500 in a few hours. Overall, I'd guess that this game is easily worth $25/hour to a typical 2+2er.

Additionally, put in 6 hours Monday-Tuesday, 6 hours Saturday-Sunday, or 15 hours in a week, and play in their twice weekly "ticket tournament." If you win a pot over $xx, depending on limit, you get a ticket. These are three hour feeding frenzies, after which the top four ticket earners get $375, $350, $325 and $300. All other qualifiers get $50, just for playing. A strange, toothless guy, who is impossible to understand, wins every time. Everyone else has a shot at the other three places, as Kenny dumps as many chips as he earns trying to win tickets. I entered this silly thing twice and finished in the money both times. Sweet.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Staying at Luxor? Head on downstairs for the lunacy!

[ QUOTE ]
The $50 NL game at Luxor is perhaps the juiciest game since the invention of poker. You can buy $50 anytime you are under $50, so I'd buy in, post a blind or tip the dealer, and rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I guess I'll have to give this game another shot. The one time I played in Luxor's baby NL game there were 3 TAG kids and 2-3 rotating seats for the tourists. Never saw more than 6 at the table so it wasn't very fun for this tourist.

Run next door to the Excalibur. They've got a morning "Free Poker Lessons" class that empties into their 1-3 and 2-6 spread games. I had probably the best run of my vacation at the X because of these games. I'm pretty sure Paris or Bally's has a morning poker class as well, can't remember which though. I'm sure they're not teaching the students Sklansky either.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I guess I'll have to give this game another shot. The one time I played in Luxor's baby NL game there were 3 TAG kids and 2-3 rotating seats for the tourists. Never saw more than 6 at the table so it wasn't very fun for this tourist.

Run next door to the Excalibur. They've got a morning "Free Poker Lessons" class that empties into their 1-3 and 2-6 spread games. I had probably the best run of my vacation at the X because of these games. I'm pretty sure Paris or Bally's has a morning poker class as well, can't remember which though. I'm sure they're not teaching the students Sklansky either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full tables whenever I was there, and at least one table running through the wee hours into weekday dawn. A few regulars, who play very predicably, but mostly idiots.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 AM

Sweet, thanks for the replys. I'll take them all into consideration....I can't wait!!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4/8 at the Wynn!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have been one of the drunks making this game good midmorning on more than one occasion.

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4/8 at the Wynn!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have been one of the drunks making this game good midmorning on more than one occasion.

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be one as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:07 AM

mid-morning 30/60 at the bellagio is FULL of regulars, pretty tight, aggressive game that you should most likely avoid