Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: My typical day

[ QUOTE ]
I took care of my kid full time until he is 2. I think it's better he spend some time with other kids. My husband is a college teacher which means he has some days he doesn't have to go to office. but he is busy overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you SERIOUS??? You honestly think it's better that he spend all day with other kids and a daycare provider than with his Mommy? Get a grip lady!! Have you ever thought of starting a play group? I am bothered by the fact that you pawn your kid of to a day care center so you can play poker. This is so wrong it should be illegal.

But hey, think of all the great things he will learn from those other kids - espacially the older ones. Believe me, he will get enough interaction with other kids from K-12 and you can play poker all day for 13 years. He's what, 3?? Yeah, you're making a BAD decision!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes feel guity spending all my time playing cards instead of doing some real work. But if I had a regular job I don't think I will have any time playing. Tough decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm still ranting on. She feels guilty that she's not doing real work and concerned that a real job would interfere with poker time. Hmmmm - poker or a real job. What about your CHILD? Don't you feel guity that you play poker instead of mother?? Does anyone else with kids have a problem with this??
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM

I wouldnt say that somebody who plays poker profesionally "gambles all day". If you play profesionally it becomes like any job. Just because her husband makes money she should not be forced to not have a career of her own. If she was a teacher or waitress or whatever and sent her kid to daycare during the days, how would this be different ? It woudlnt.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM

This is my whole point, playing poker is not like having a job. If I said I put kid in daycare for a job, no problem. Playing poker, oh my god. Even ppl on this board feel this way.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:11 PM

Part of the reason I don't want to go working is now I can send him to daycare after he gets up, any time. I often puts him there 11am. And pick him up before 5 and have dinner ready for him. How can I do it if I work 9-5?
Also professors don't always make good money. We live in a small apartment and don't have much to spare.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes feel guity spending all my time playing cards instead of doing some real work. But if I had a regular job I don't think I will have any time playing. Tough decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm still ranting on. She feels guilty that she's not doing real work and concerned that a real job would interfere with poker time. Hmmmm - poker or a real job. What about your CHILD? Don't you feel guity that you play poker instead of mother?? Does anyone else with kids have a problem with this??

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning to post something a bit softer, but yes, I agree 100% that if you are taking your kid to day care so you can come home and play poker 5 hours a day then there is an issue. If you "need" to play poker for income (doesn't sound like it, but we don't have all the pieces here) then play AFTER Jr. goes to bed.

My day:
up at 6:30am. Work 7:30 - 5:00pm.
5-9:30pm, hang out with my daughter and my wife.
9:30 - 1am : multitable 3/6

my wife's day
up around 7am
7:30am - 5pm : take care of our daughter * (wife works part time from home - has 2 meetings a week that she brings our daughter to then squeezes in an hour whenever our daughter naps, she also works a full day on Sunday).
5pm - 7pm : RELAX while I hang out with daughter.
7pm - 9:30pm : hang out with me (dinner/talk/tv/etc)

I clear just enough every month to cover the gap between what my wife used to make (before she was a mommy) and what she makes now.

If you're going to leave your kid at day care then get a real job and make enough to put $$$ away for her college tuition/car/other stuff.

FishNChips
Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my whole point, playing poker is not like having a job. If I said I put kid in daycare for a job, no problem. Playing poker, oh my god. Even ppl on this board feel this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, its your life, do it how you want. I don't think that playing poker all day is a waste of your life, but you asked for opinions and I think it stinks that you drop your kid off at day care so you can play poker. See my other post for more on this, but one of the great things about on-line poker is that the game is ALWAYS there. Hang out with your kid during the day, play poker at night. Your husband can deal with limited time together for a cuple years until Jr. is in school, but these first few years are so huge in your kids development that if you CAN its better to spend the time with the kid.

There are plenty of people that would KILL to be able to stay home with their kid but can't. If you are a winning poker player and can make enough to bridge the gap then do it at night.

Again, its your choice. But don't ask for opinions if you don't really want them.

FishNChips
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt say that somebody who plays poker profesionally "gambles all day". If you play profesionally it becomes like any job. Just because her husband makes money she should not be forced to not have a career of her own. If she was a teacher or waitress or whatever and sent her kid to daycare during the days, how would this be different ? It woudlnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

She made a whopping $20K in a year (actually more than a year). After taxes closer to $15K. Daycare is $100 - $150 per week so call it $5,000 per year. So she clears $10K - peanuts, really.

BUT the reason she quit her programming jod was to stay home with the kid. And the reason she give for daycare is so he can spend time with other kids - and so she can play poker. Sounds like she's selfish to me...She can't wait onother year and a half and play when the kid is in school?

When you have little kids, they should be your first priority, your second priority and your third priority.

You also must feel guilty that you hawk your kids off to a stranger with a questionable backround every day. Ask someone that used to work in a daycare center what the quality of care is really like and you will quit your job tomorrow. My wife worked in a daycare center for a week while in college and quit because of how the children were treated.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't have kids...but intend to in the semi-near future.

If I'm still playing poker from home then I would consider this to be an advantage.

Maybe I don't undderstand the full realities of it all...but I would think that you can take care of the kid just a little bit while clicking-away online.
And my sig-other can pursue her career all she likes while i'm the stay-at-home-dad-who-is-still-making-money.

I don't think the OP is nearly as bad as others are making her out to be.
I might be inclined to take my kid to day-care every once in awhile just as much for the social-interaction as anything. But this wouldn't be a regular thing if I didn't have to do it of course.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So she clears $10K - peanuts, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on. That "peanuts" is about the annual income of a full-time, year-round worker on minimum wage. I'd love to be in a place where $10k is peanuts. You may not think it's worth the trade-off, but let's not pretend that the income she's forgoeing by quitting poker isn't very significant to many families.