Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 10:47 PM

Default I don\'t like this kind of situations. How to improve my line?

No good read on villian. He is not particulary good or bad. A standard player. The problem is that I have been showing weakness and he can, maybe, be betting like this with just a pair of queens, like QJ (remember this is 6 max).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($79.4)
Button ($75.15)
SB ($149.1)
BB ($127.14)
Hero ($97.5)
MP ($145.96)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
Hero calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.50, BB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($8) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP calls $5, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($28) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $10</font>, Hero ???
Old 05-30-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: I don\'t like this kind of situations. How to improve my line?

fold preflop 2x
Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop 2x

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's going to have to be a pretty juicy table for me to want to play hands like KQo or AJo out of position.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 AM

ok.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 AM

Bet the turn - you have thus far received zero evidence that you dont have the best hand. Fold to a raise, and check the river if called.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:55 AM

You are getting 7:1 pf to call the reraise, dont fold. After betting the flop, bet the turn and fold to a raise.

On your line Id fold to his river bet even though his bet is quite low.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:06 PM

I'm quite loose but probably wouldn't call in this preflop situation unless the MP has high PFR and other callers have low PFA.

KQ is one the worst hands for getting into this sort of situation with--if you hit a pair you cannot be sure of your kicker, if you hit two pair there's a good chance there's a straight draw about etc. Against aggressive players you can seldom be sure enough to call with KQo. Having played it the way you have and therefore lacking much info about MP's hand, I'd definitely fold when the A hits, anyway.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:17 PM

I agree, the call on the turn is a bad play but one that's difficult to avoid as well. Most of the time someone makes a bet like that on the turn and you call, they're gonna make you pay more to show down. Your hand's very unlikely to improve.

I would have raised on the turn. If I was then reraised I would fold without a very good read that MP is very aggressive and raises without the best hand, as few players at the level I play bluff-reraise.

Personally I think you're winning, and that MP has JJ, or perhaps TT (hopefully not 99, but its possible). He puts in the $10 knowing that he's probably beaten and will fold to a reraise.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 7:1 pf to call the reraise, dont fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is NO-LIMIT- not limit... who cares if you're getting 7:1 on a preflop call. you will be OOP with a hand that is more often than not dominated preflop in similar situations. over time playing a hand such as KQo in the way villain did will lose him $$. if over time he is going to play it in this spot, he should be very careful (possibly erring on the side of weak-tight careful) to play this hand as TPGK.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your different kind of advices! I will think about this hand for a while. Always fold this hand preflop in this kind of situations, with a minraise preflop, seems a little too tight for me. Hmm, but it's certainly a trouble hand.