Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Default 2k+ SNGs recorded. Are these 500 break even stretches standard??

Ok here's my profit graph after about 2300 22's. This is about 12.5% ROI and 37.4% ITM:

Once again I'm in the midst of another long ass break even stretch, and my confidence level has plummeted. Look at that last 500 especially. It's like a [censored] plateau (ok, that's better than huge swings downward I guess, but still immensely frustrating). I've been through similiar experiences before, but should it happen this many times in 2300 tournaments? I'm starting to feel like I don't gradually make money in SNGs at all. I feel like I just have to grind it out breaking even until I hit a rare heater, and that's how I make money. Is that standard? Do most people gradually make money in SNGs?

Proven winning players with worse or as bad break even stretches as me chiming in this thread would help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: 2k+ SNGs recorded. Are these 500 break even stretches standard??

Well, you'd get better answers in the STT forum, but yeah, its normal. I ran retarded hot (for me) at the beginning of the summer and then proceeded to have the worst month ever...

Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM

its funny because you draw your graph like every downswing will completly erase your positve swings before it making it look like you are running even for a long period of time when in reality you a running well for a long strech then have a significant downswing. I see your graph more like this:

Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

This is EXACTLY how SNGs work for me. Not just on a monthly or weekly basis, but even a daily basis. I have set after set of break-even numbers until I have one hot set during the day where everything goes right, and that is my profit for the day. Some days I don't get this hot streak, other days I have maybe 2 of them. But long periods of breaking even waiting for the hot streak is EXACTLY how my SNG career has gone.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Hi,

Reading your post all sounded very familiar to me. Here's my graph for comparison.

I was running fine for 2-3 months then over the last month I seem to have hit a wall and just can't progress! I know your pain but it's all par for the course. Keep at it, keep playing the game you know works and things will turn around.

Imajika
Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 PM

You have me beat: