Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Live 2/5 Hand very deep- Am I a genius or a donkey?

I never ever post hands for analysis here - but it's been 2 weeks since I played this pot, and I still wonder about it, so I thought I'd see what you boys thought. Please forgive any formatting errors, I'm trying the best I can.

10-handed 2/5 NL game, about midnight on a friday night. Nice and loose and passive preflop.

Hero ($1050) is on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
3 players limp, Hero raises to $15 (a common raise to get called in the last hour). Small blind calls. Villian ($750) in the big blind raises to $50.

Villian is a player I know well. Very agressive, strong, but not as strong as he thinks. An arrogant player who thinks he knows me and can see through my cards. He has me figured for a typical big cards playing type, who can become a beer drinking idiot as I was portraying this night. He plays a variety of hands strong and weak, but his good hands he usually plays well. Earlier in the night he's seen me raise with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button and win, and I've seen him raise out of the big blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and win.

Limpers fold, I call ($35 in a $95 pot), and the sb folds. Heads up to the flop, $125 out there.

4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian checks.

What do I do?

My thinking: He either has a huge hand, or very little. AJ TT 99 would bet here, but AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 44, A4 would all check, as well as AK, AQ, AT, KQ, or some other garbage if he was just trying to take the pot from me preflop. If I bet and he calls, he could still have almost any of the hands listed. If I check, I could get help, but I could still be drawing pratically dead and get stuck losing alot more. If he check-raises me, I have to give it up, but it's very unlikely he'd check-raise as a "move", so I'd know he was very strong.

I've read it's best to keep the audience in suspense, so I'll post more later... the turn is interesting too!