Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 AM

Default AA form BB, 3rd hand; too aggressive?

Playing in a 5 +.50 tourney last night and picked up AA in the BB. All stacks still around the starting size of 1500.
No reads yet, only the third hand. Blinds at 10/20.
UTg +1 raises to 80
4 callers
Hero raises to 220.
UTG +1 raises to 420.
Folds around to hero.

Hero ??
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: AA form BB, 3rd hand; too aggressive?

Looks perfect. Push your chips in now. You'll get called 999 times out of 1000 and double up 800 of them.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 AM

You raised too little the first time around. After your call, the pot has t410 in it, so a standard raise would be to t490. This is gigantic, so I can see an argument for t350 or t400.

Now that you're here, in a $5.50 I've basically never seen someone raise and then reraise preflop and fold, so I push.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I think your RR is fine - I actually would be inclined to raise it up to 250-300, actually. Once Villian bumps it, I'm putting him squarely on a premium hand that he will not let go of. Just go all in and expect to be called the vast majority of the time. If you don't get a call, oh well - the pot is already at almost t900.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

This early in a tournament, the best way to play your monsters is to lay the whip to them. Re-raise if you want to get him committed or push - he's calling either way.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:16 AM

I do agree with the thoughts that my raise should have been higher due to all the callers. I think I had made up my mind as soon as UTG bet on what my reraise would be and didn't count the callers and add to my raise.

I pretty much put him on kings or queens with the small possibility of Aces. I pushed in when it got to me and he called and had queens. I'll take that action any day being at 80% to win.
I was just curious as to if anyone would just call his reraise and see what happens on the flop but that just sounds weak. Sorry doesn't sound weak, it is!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree with the thoughts that my raise should have been higher due to all the callers. I think I had made up my mind as soon as UTG bet on what my reraise would be and didn't count the callers and add to my raise.

I pretty much put him on kings or queens with the small possibility of Aces. I pushed in when it got to me and he called and had queens. I'll take that action any day being at 80% to win.
I was just curious as to if anyone would just call his reraise and see what happens on the flop but that just sounds weak. Sorry doesn't sound weak, it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling with position is a viable option if you have a read that the villain will c-bet even if the flop misses. The problem here is that if he's on AK, you can get his chips in pre-flop much easier than if he whiffs. But I would not do this until much later in the tournament against an aggressive villain, and out of the blinds you must raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By raising and RR, he shows that he isn't letting go of his hand. I'm pushing this anytime. Calling is a weak idea indeed.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks perfect. Push your chips in now. You'll get called 999 times out of 1000 and double up 800 of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just curious as to if anyone would just call his reraise and see what happens on the flop but that just sounds weak

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a more viable play with KK/QQ, looking for the aceless flop. There are essentially no flops here that you are going to fold for the rest of your chips, but there are many flops that may convince your opponent that maybe he should let go of his QQ or whatever.