Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Do Online Players Going B&M Have a Lot of Tells?

Does the typical online player who plays at a B&M for the first time typically give off a lot of tells?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Do Online Players Going B&M Have a Lot of Tells?

Typically - yes. And typically it doesn't matter that much against your average opponent at your levels Tom, you have little to worry about.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 AM

the things I have noticed in my first week of B&M play in myself are the following:

I prep my cards to either play or fold before action is on me, so someone paying attention could tell what I was planning on playing before it got to me.

I also act too straight forwardly, and sometimes am too anxious to spit out raise and do it.

Besides that I am very good at looking like a kid with autism, I dont really make eye contact or smile or have any other ticks ive noticed yet

I play 3/6 so it doesnt really matter, raise fast, raise slow, grin while raising the nuts all hand, theyll still reraise and beat you into the pot. Im gonna try and act a little more deceptively in the future, short pauses, rechecking hole cards, glancing around at the board, things that might make worse hands call.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the typical online player who plays at a B&M for the first time typically give off a lot of tells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Subtle things like the Party Poker t-shirt or the Full Tilt visor might make a few folks nervous. J/K man [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 08:33 AM

To answer your question, yes. Please refer to season one of "Tilt".
Old 12-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Darn you beat me to it. 'Internet finger' or something, lol.

Nope, don't worry too much about tells, just try to do everything pretty much the same. I hardly bother looking for tells at this level, mainly because I really don't want to look at the people I'm playing with.

I'll give you one example. Any time a guy I played with would say 'Raise,' he had it. When the raise was just with chips, it was a much weaker hand. Stuff like this should be avoided.

Oh yeah, don't say 'Check/call', ;Bet/Raise', etc. before it's your turn. J/K
Old 12-22-2005, 10:16 AM

Yes, for the most part. This typically doesn't matter in the limit games, but can in the NL games if you are playing high enough. A few things to remember are:

-Don't look at your cards until it is your turn to act preflop
-Take the same amount of time each time you bet/raise (but don't take too long and hollywood it up)
-Speak clearly when declaring a raise, bet, or all-in

Act natural. Talk to the players if you like to talk and be social, or just look down at the felt if you are afraid of giving off a tell. Whatever is most comfortable and repeatable in all situations is what I suggest you do.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-Don't look at your cards until it is your turn to act preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. It slows down the game and it basically draws everyone's attention to you at the point that you are most likely to expose facial/body language.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:50 AM

If I get a premium hand, I'll look at it for a shorter amount of time than a mediocre hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 AM

I just played my first live game (4/8) and honestly tells couldn't have been any less relevant. At the loosest point in the game my neighbor and I would literally discuss our winning hands while betting the pot and get called down. As in "watch, all three of those guys down there are going to chase me all the way even though I've already hit my flush... bet-call-call-call, bet-call-call-call, show flush, take pot"

There was also a time that the table was tough but I think at this level people are pretty much playing their hand and not trying to read you.