Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of comments on the shoot in the kneecap, crotch, etc. suggestions.

I will not re-hash a shoot-to-kill vs. shoot-to-disable argument here, but, there is one crucial reason why if you have decided to shoot you do not try to shoot for any part of the body except for the center of mass unless you are extremely good.

In situations like the one described by the OP where you fear for your life you will be in flight or fight mode. Adrenaline will be pumping and you will most likely lose fine motor skills ( i.e. ability to acutely aim for a small target). Hence, the likelihood that you will hit an arm, crotch, or other specific body part is very unlikely unless you are highly-trained. This is why you aim for center of mass of your target. If you aim center of mass you have the highest likelihood to hit your target and eliminate the threat it poses.

So, if you have decided to shoot, this is where you aim.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the only reason. When you use deadly force in self-defense, you have to do so with the thought that your life is in danger. Grand juries will decide whether to press charges on you for murder, and if they feel that you really believed your life was danger you will get off without any problems. If you had the presence of mind to kneecap someone, then you clearly did not feel your life is in danger. Shoot them in the chest about 6 times is my advice.

Also, dead people can't hold grudges, kneecapped ones can.