Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM

Default I live in Fear of Downswings (and TILT!!)

I have been playing online (and homegames) erraticaly for probably a couple of years. I feel I am only just now beginning to play marginally winning poker--although maybe I am being too hard on myself. In the past I have tilted after minor downswings and so I have restricted my daily play to 1 hour a day. Playing 1 hour and focusing on playing as perfectly as I can and not tilting at all in that timeframe in hopes that my discipline will improve. So far this is going well. However, I am living in fear of that 200bb downswing or even 50bb downswing that might be just around the corner. I keep repeating to myself, just try and make the right decision no matter what.
Do any of you live in fear of this occurence?
-g
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: I live in Fear of Downswings (and TILT!!)

Are you playing with money you can't afford to lose, or that you can't replace?

I'm not living in fear of a 200BB downswing because if I lost my whole bankroll I could replace it in a couple of weeks. If you can't, you should play with a larger bankroll so the downswings aren't so crippling and/or scary.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Every poker player does. It's the ability to control our fear and not letting it affect us that seperates the successful and the unsuccessful. Among other things.

As you play more you'll find that you won't get as bothered by the constant small (30-70 big bets) downswings. You seem to have the correct mindset (make the right decision in every situation no matter what), so hopefully you'll eventually be able to control the tilt. That's a very important step in becoming a good poker player.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:56 PM

I play on a pretty short roll, basicaly have one account at PP with about 130 bucks playing 50/1.00 and another at bet365 with only 75 bucks playing same stakes (clearing a $100 bonus i need to play the .50/1.00).
Obviously part of it is a small roll, but if i lose that money i can replenish it down the road. 100 bucks is not a huge deal to me either way--though i am not a wealthy guy--its still more the competitive part of me that gets angry when I am losing and I feel I should be winning.
Thats when the tilt starts. I have been winning over time even with a SEVERE tilt problem, so i believe if i can clean that up (easier said then done) i can be a decent earner.

Hopefully...

g
Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM

i have a 6K roll ans still play 0,5/1 1/2 25 PL and i am still frustrated if i lose 2-300
Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a 6K roll ans still play 0,5/1 1/2 25 PL and i am still frustrated if i lose 2-300

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, when I sit in to a 0.5/1 table I tilt when I win because the pots are so insignificantly small it's depressing.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 AM

If you're living in fear of a 200BB downswing (I just had one last week) then I think you have a couple choices. Quit playing or educate yourself concering such things. I've accepted that downswings are part of the game so I don't fear them. Over the last couple weeks I've read a ton about tilt and how to deal/minimize it. How to play my best when I'm getting killed. I just received a 2+2 poker psych book and look forward to reading it.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm now severely over-bankrolled for the limits that I play. Multitabling, I can (and have) experience 200BB swings in either directions in a an hour or less.

It still worries me, and I still check on my progress my mentally adding up my per table profit/los WAY too much, but I'm adjusting.

I used to be unable to get up from a table with a loss unless I totally busted out. I would try to grind my way back to even no matter how long it took.

I've finally come to grips with the fqact that at least some of my sessions will be significant losses, and that it works that way for everyone.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 AM

I do not live in fear of this variance. One reason could be that I play no-limit, and I suspect that you play limit.

Think about it this way, 50BB (big bets) is your max buy-in in no-limit. You know how often good players lose their whole stack? ALL THE TIME. You can even lose SEVERAL buy-ins...it shouldn't be a big deal if you are a good player.

If you truly can't get used to it, then you are either underrolled, playing with money you can't lose, or not cut out for poker.

I play MUCH better when I am not afraid of losing (ie. the amount of money doesn't bother me). It allows you to bluff and make tough calls that you couldn't do if you were worried about losing.

You need to be comfortable losing an amount of money consistent with the stakes you are playing. If you can't do that, then play more at the level below until losing $X doesn't bother you anymore.