Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM

Default $50 NL - vs $25 NL

I have been playing at Party for about 6 weeks now.

I have played to date 2500 ish hands at $50 NL

and have played 1400 ish hands at $25 NL

Yes I realise this is a small sample size - however.

I am getting killed at $25 NL and am down $175 - (-25 BB/Hr)

but at $50 NL I am up $130 (5 BB/Hr)

I play the same way at either table.

I started out at $50NL and managed to lose my original buy in - bought in again - moved down a limit and lost a whole lot more. Finally I decided I'd take the last $50 of my bankroll and give the $50NL table one last shot...

Since moving back up I have recouped my 2nd buy in and am doing much better.

Aside from variance - is there anything I am likely to be doing wrong on the lower limit tables that can account for my awful results there?

Mark...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: $50 NL - vs $25 NL

You may be playing differently subconsciously. For example, maybe you're paying more attention and getting better reads because there's more money and therefore, more interest, at NL50. Perhaps the NL25 game is just tougher. I also had a higher winrate at NL50 than NL25, but nothing like what you're experiencing.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
variance

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
variance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 PM

A couple thousand hands is nothing. It's like me coming in here saying I just lost 2 hands on 25nl and won 1 hand on 50nl so 50nl must be so much easier than 25nl
Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM

The players at these two levels are incredibly weak. You have to adjust your play to it. Bluffing them is not usually the best idea. It's better to wait for real hands and extract value from them and pick up small pots with infrequent bluffs.

If you're losing at this game you're probably making too many mistakes for one. And two... variance will definately come in to play.

Be careful what you put your money in with, and learn about things like pot control and the volatile irrational state of your opponents.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The players at these two levels are incredibly weak. You have to adjust your play to it. Bluffing them is not usually the best idea. It's better to wait for real hands and extract value from them and pick up small pots with infrequent bluffs.

If you're losing at this game you're probably making too many mistakes for one. And two... variance will definately come in to play.

Be careful what you put your money in with, and learn about things like pot control and the volatile irrational state of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you certainly have to adjust your game. 25NL and 50NL are mostly filled with the same bad players and does not play very differently. Bluffing at the tables depends on who your playing. Generally, restrain from bluffing too often, but you will ocassionally come across a table that you can just run over, although that is usually the exception, not the rule.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple thousand hands is nothing. It's like me coming in here saying I just lost 2 hands on 25nl and won 1 hand on 50nl so 50nl must be so much easier than 25nl

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm....

you missed my point - I'm not whining about how easy 50 is compared to 25.

I just find it odd that I am doing so badly against a supposedly easier table - when I feel I am playing the same game at both tables.

Just wondering if this is just variance - or if I am making some cardinal newbie mistake that I can't see because I am new at this.

Still thanks for your input.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot control...

If I have a semi good hand - or a strong draw I tend to bet 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot if the action is checked to me and I get to bet 1st - My bet amount bears little relation to my cards I randomise my raises using the system clock on my pooter. Most of the time this gets me HU against one opponent or wins the pot outright - HU I can narrow the range of hands Villian may be betting with and then bet accordingly.

Is this the correct way to control the pot?

If I have a monster hand I'll usually just bet big to bet for value - if I miss the flop totally usually I C/F...

I'm already careful what cards I play with my vp$ip is around 20 on average...

Any recommendations on anything I should go read to learn more about pot control?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:00 PM

With a bankroll of less than $300, you should be on the $5 and $10 beginners tables.